ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Verisign's monopoly

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Verisign's monopoly
  • From: Alexander <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:32:29 +0200

It is with great regret that I see the direction that this proposed 'settlement' is taking.
The monopoly known by many as verisign is trying to get as much money from this industry as possible, while offering as little as possible back to its end user customers.
The proposed scheme of increase in pricing will be devastating to the domain market, and if anything jeopardizes ICANN's control of the www. Perhaps an international organization should step in, even if it is under the UN to stop this charade that verisign is trying to pull off.
These are very uncertain times, and I hope that ICANN realizes that by accepting verisigns ' monopolistic methods, they are opening pandora's box with very uncertain repercussions as to who will be in charge in the future.
In fact, it doesn't please me to say this, but I think it will be sealing its fate.

I do hope that this settlement will not go through for the benefit of all, and ultimately ICANN as well.