ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

So far, I must admit "...I DON'T GET IT"

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: So far, I must admit "...I DON'T GET IT"
  • From: Telecomventures@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:43:58 EST

After reviewing my comments below ..would you please take  the time to
explain to me why such a settlement is in the public interest.
Some Highlights Why ICANN should NOT sign the settlement  with Verisign.
    *   The settlement agreement allows Verisign to increase the price of
.com  domain names to every Registrar by 7% every year. Currently  Verisign
charges all Registrars $6 for every domain name. The new settlement  agreement
however allows them to increase prices to all of us without any cost
justification. They can simply increase the price by 7% EACH year.

    *   This means Verisign WILL (not "may" increase as  agreed) double the
price in 10 years. Naturally any increase in  price mean all Registrars have to
increase their prices at large. This  adversely reduces our sales and reduces
our potential to sell  other Internet Products.

    *   The settlement proposes that ICANN is giving Verisign an  "unfair
chance" to make more than 2 Billion Dollars  extra over the next 10 years. This
may by far be the most expensive settlement  ever in any industry or commerce.

    *   That 2 Billion Dollars are coming out of our / our customers  pocket.

    *   The proposed settlement agreement also without any consideration  for
any economic indicator to doubles the ICANN fees charged to  Registrars.
Currently Registrars pay 25 cents per domain name to ICANN.  The new agreement
will make that 50 cents. This again means all Registrars  will further increase
what they charge for dot Com Domain Names.

    *   The new settlement agreement has a perpetual presumptive renewal
clause.  This means that Verisign will permanently hold on to the dot Com
Registry.  There will never be any competitive bid for it, except in a very
remote
circumstance. Verisign now gets the right to a perpetual monopoly. This means
that they are free to do whatever they want with dot Com, without fear of
competition. This does not serve the public convenience and necessity. Prices
therefore will never reduce. ...and there may even be amendments to the
settlement allowing even more unfair increase in pricing.

    *   ICANN has been In-trusted with the over-site of  these  issues. To
this end, please inform me as to why ICANN feel that the proposed  settlement
agreement with Verisign is a good deal ...and how would the public  benefit
from
such agreement. So far, I must admit "...I DON'T GET  IT"

Respectfully Yours,

Erskine R.  Curry
CEO/Executive Management Consultant
Email:  telecomventures@xxxxxxx
Mobile: (561) 351-8351

Media & Telecom  Ventures
Lake Avenue Place
1213 Lake Ave.
Lake Worth,  Florida 33460 USA

Phone: 561-856-6624
Fax: (561)  828-0398
Skype: (561) 983-6307
Email:  telecomventures@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo IM: ecbiznet
Aol  IM: telecomventures
MSN IM: telecomventures
ICQ IM:  345-987-317 (ECBIZNET)

Additional Contact: Ralph Wells CFO/VP  Operations 786-281-6151

The views, comments and opinions  expressed in this in this email are the
views and opinion of Media & Telecom  Ventures and it affiliate entities. This
e-mail may contain confidential and/or  privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient (or have received  this e-mail in error) please notify
the sender immediately and destroy this  e-mail. Any unauthorized use, copying,
disclosure or distribution of the  material, links or access numbers and
codes contained in this e-mail is strictly  protected under domestic and
international copyright laws. Any prices quoted in  this email are subject to
contract,
applicable taxes and the relevant terms and  conditions of trading.

Copyright © 2005 Media & Telecom Ventures, All Right  Reserved