ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

a strong no

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: a strong no
  • From: "Featuredhost Webmaster" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:10:51 +0530

dear sirs,
We are a kolkatta based web hosting and domain registration provider . Very
recently we came to know about the Verisign-ICAAN settlement and it deeply
pains us to hear about such an event . We have been in this business for the
past 5 years and over the years we have our business grow with every
development on the internet . It is obvious that much of the increase of any
business comes with a better competitive pricing of the product / service and
also the business flourishes as long as there is a healthy competition .
In the past 2 years especially we have seen a tremendous rise in awareness
among our customers about the web and we are quite certain that much of this
comes from the regularly decreasing prices of domains as well as the
availablity of newer domain extensions. Yet , .COM is still the first choice
for 90% of the customers and we are almost certain a meteoric rise like 7% per
year will curb down much of our business along with several of our competitors
.
We strongly object to ICAAN's signing of any agreement that enables such a
tremendous rise in the cost of the most premier domain name extension along
with the handing over of propreitary rights of .COM to a single provider ,
namely Verisign.

Regards,
Arindra Datta
WEBSYS