ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Settlement

• To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Settlement
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:04:34 -0500

I saw a recent op-ed in which UN Sec Gen Kofi Annan said he doesn?t want the UN to control the Internet. Wait a minute, that was an option? The very fact that?s being proposed even at all gives me the creeps - ICANN and VeriSign settling their lawsuit is a good thing - finally we can free up ICANN to stop a UN Internet grab.

The operation and the ownership of the Internet seems to be getting a lot of press these days. After I heard that other countries want to control the Internet, I couldn't help but think, why is there a big fight over ICANN and VeriSign, when the real threat is the UN hiring a Chinese Communist Party official to lead a Internet Regulation Task Force? I do not want the Internet to fall into the hands of the UN - please let?s keep our eyes on the ball here.

I think its amusing that some of the posters right here think that the Internet would be better off if it was run by the UN. We know one thing for certain - the UN is really good at spending money. If you think ICANN?s fees are high ($6 will barely buy you a cheeseburger, by the way), just wait for the UN to impose fees. Fees would undoubtedly double or triple as the UN created various committees and task forces.

Folks, we're looking at the future of the Internet unless ICANN gets its house in order, VeriSign settles it's disputes, and lawsuits between companies such as Verisign and ICANN are finally laid to rest. Innovation in the high tech sector should always outweigh litigation. I hope I am never in a position to say I told you so.

Dal Harper
Lexington, KY

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy