ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RES: [soac-mapo] Highly recommended reading

  • To: "'Evan Leibovitch'" <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RES: [soac-mapo] Highly recommended reading
  • From: "Jaime Wagner - CGI" <jaime@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 18:12:47 -0300

Evan,

Long but interesting reading. Thanks for pointing it.

As a Brazilian citizen and a private entrepreneur, I would just like to point
to a possible misleading interpretation of data thrown out without proper
knowledge of the details.

Brazil appears as the country with the greater number of content-removal
requests to Google and YouTube. Unfortunately enough the chart caption reads
“Government content-removal requests” as if these requests were the result of a
discretionary act of a government agency or an arbitrary act of some police
“authority”. Well, this is a lack of information. All these removal-requests
are made by the proper judiciary authority “after” a formal judgment process
demanded by an individual who feels his rights can be defended, even in this
nobody’s land, given rules of cooperation between proper local authorities and
the companies with a global Internet presence. Indeed, Google signed with
Brazilian Senate such an agreement.

I think this is not an indication of lack of democracy in an underdeveloped
society . Much to the contrary it indicates that Internet has entered the
reality of Brazilians, permeating the society and its institutions: including
legislative and judiciary.

Jaime Wagner
CGI (Comitê Gestor da Internet no Brasil)
Representante dos Provedores de Acesso e Conteúdo
jaime <mailto:jaime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> @cgi.br <mailto:jaime@xxxxxx>
  cel: (51)8126-0916
j.w@xxxxxxxxxxx              dir: (51) 3219-5955