ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] New 4.1 language

  • To: "Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] New 4.1 language
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 04:14:47 -0400

Thanks Mary for continuing to work on this language.  I encourage others
to comment and just want to communicate some questions  I have.
Regarding "it may appoint a third party entity to administer the purely
procedural aspects of an objection that has been filed. Such a provider
shall be appointed under contract for a fixed period of time appropriate
for the application timetable. It shall not provide expert advice nor
recommendations regarding the outcome of an objection, although it may,
if requested by the Board, assist in seeking appropriate international
law experts for particular objections." do we care whether ICANN uses a
third party to perform administrative functions or not?  Wouldn 't the
third party need a high level of expertise just to qualify "appropriate
international law experts for particular objections" ?  ICANN staff has
already done a lot of work in identifying possible legal experts; if a
third party helps, good; maybe they have already used a third party.
If a third party that has the expertise needed to recommend expert
panelists, I don't think it would make sense from a cost perspective to
have them "the purely procedural aspects of an objection that has been
filed".

Chuck