ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] New language for 4.1

  • To: "'Mary Wong'" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] New language for 4.1
  • From: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:14:01 +0100

Thanks for this Mary - it is very helpful. Here are my comments:
The Board should seek the advice of eminent jurists well-versed in
international law for all Rec. 6 objections, following the procedures outlined
in Article XI.A of the Bylaws.
For me, this advice is a 'must' and I am not sure whether we even need to make
reference to Article XI.A of the Bylaws. This Article gives discretion to the
Board to seek advice, whilst for me, in these cases, advice should always be
sought.

In addition, the CWG recommends that the Board appoint a third party entity to
administer the purely procedural aspects of an objection that has been filed,
Agreed!

including suggesting appropriate persons who can serve as experts.
This, I don't understand. Will the administrative third party entity also be in
the position to suggest experts? If so, then I don't agree with this and I
don't see how an administrative body will be in the position to suggest experts.

Any such third party provider shall be appointed under contract for a fixed
period of time appropriate for the application timetable.
Agreed!

In no event will any such provider give expert advice or recommendations
regarding the outcome of an objection, it being understood that such decision
lies with the Board alone and may not be delegated to a third party. As in all
other areas of ICANN policy, the Board will ultimately decide whether to adopt
or reject the advice of any external experts it consults in relation to a Rec.
6 objection.
Agreed!
KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,
Law Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
The Lord Hope Building,
141 St. James Road,