ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] RE: Follow-up from Monday's Consultation on Rec. 6 - correction

  • To: Carvell Mark (IE) <Mark.Carvell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] RE: Follow-up from Monday's Consultation on Rec. 6 - correction
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:06:01 -0500

In the event that a string rises to the level of scrutiny that we are
envisioning, it will be a proverbial hot potato.  it will stir up passions, it
will be reported upon, and the arguments rehearsed in this working group will
be repeated both within ICANN and without.      Without even considering
whether ICANN rules permit an outsourced body to make Board-level decisions, it
is simply not credible that a decision like this -- or even a recommendation --
should be made by any party other than the Board.   This cannot credibly be
viewed as a non-political event.

The reason this WG and this issue are  taking so long is that there aren't
objective criteria for what's "moral" and what isn't. Even if you don't want to
use the word "morality" you cannot deny the plain reality that these are not
issues of fact, but of opinion.

Therefore, even supposing a decision or recommendation were, initially, made by
an outside group, there would be incredible pressure to reconsider it.   The
outside group's credibility and impartiality would be attacked, which would
undermine its effectiveness; ICANN would be attacked (again)  for being
pusillanimous, which would not be good for ICANN; and the world's governments
may be pressured to take a position, which could lead to strife.  In the end,
the outside body's recommendations, however appealing they might seem as cover,
cannot be taken seriously as something to rely upon.  it would be a mistake, in
my opinion, to attempt to clothe a judgment call in the costume of objectivity.
  Whatever the decision, yea or nay, reliance on the judgments of a third party
will be seen as a clumsy attempt to avoid responsibility.

That's the best reason for reserving to the Board the decision on controversial
strings: they, either alone or with other ICANN bodies, are going to end up
doing it anyway, and the effect of not sending it directly to them will be to
fray and strain the credibility of ICANN and its Board, without any gain in
speed, correctness, or reputation.   An outside group can definitely provide
objective input, e.g. as to international law, but it cannot take the place of
a properly constituted decision-making body.  Any attempt to do so will
inevitably harm ICANN.

Antony