ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

[soac-mapo] Update- Rec6 Action Item URGENT input from CWG is required by January 7th 2011.

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-mapo] Update- Rec6 Action Item URGENT input from CWG is required by January 7th 2011.
  • From: Cheryl Langdon-Orr <langdonorr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 10:10:28 +1100

On Behalf of the CWG Co-Chairs  please find below  and on  this wiki page <
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Recommendation+6+Cross+Community+Work+Group+Cartagena+Board+Resolution+response+drafting+space

some text drafted  to begin our development of the CWG response to the Dec
10th Board Resolution from the Cartagena meeting, that we need to deal with
as a matter of urgency....  A doodle will be forthcoming from staff to
ascertain a time on 5,6 or 7 January when the CWG  can teleconference to
complete final drafting of our response to the Board Resolution, so that it
can be transmitted to the Board no later than 2359 UTC on January 7th...  We
do realize that this time of year will mean many contributors  will have
limited access and ability to contribute to both the drafting online and the
teleconference ( we will use an Adobe Connect room for the drafting at that
meeting, but we are restrained by the timing requirements outlined in the
resolution, so must simply do our best;  We thank you all in advance  for
whatever contribution(s) you are able to make to this important process...

Kindest regards,

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)
On Behalf of all the Rec6CWG Co-Chairs

Please contribute edits/ comments suggestions  to the current draft text
(kindly provided by Jon Nevett on behalf of the CWG pre Cartagena response
to staff questions drafting team)   either, here to this list and/or  as
comments or direct edits to the wiki page (edits etc., from the list will be
copied across to the wiki as well, {if you do this please  use a <name> next
to  a proposed insertion or comment/note and DO NOT DELETE text
convention!}

Drafted text  to be developed by the CWG  by January 7th 2011  in response
to Resolution (see for full resolution regarding outstanding issues with new
gTLD's  See 2. in Dec 10th Board Resolutions
http://icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-10dec10-en.htm#2     which (in part)
reads...

Whereas, the working group formed to address implementation of the
GNSO-recommended policy concerning *morality and public order* objections
made recommendations (the Recommendation 6 Community Working Group), several
of which were incorporated into the guidebook, and the working group has
clarified the remaining recommendations in a series of consultations with
ICANN staff and Board members. Discussions will continue on (1) the roles of
the Board, GAC, and ALAC in the objection process, (2) the incitement to
discrimination criterion, and (3) fees for GAC and ALAC-instigated
objections. ICANN will take into account public comment including the advice
of the GAC, and looks forward to receiving further input from the working
group in an attempt to close this issue*.*

Whereas, the public comment period on the English version of the Proposed
Final Applicant Guidebook concluded just prior to this Board Meeting on 10
December 2010, with the closure of other comments on translated versions to
follow in the order posted, and ICANN will carefully consider all of the
comments received.

Whereas, the Board participated in discussions and listened to comment from
stakeholders during the meeting in Cartagena.

Whereas, the Governmental Advisory Committee communiqué from Cartagena
indicates that the GAC will provide a list of issues that the GAC believes
are still outstanding and require additional discussion between the Board
and the GAC.

Resolved (2010.12.10.21), the Board:

   1. Appreciates the GAC's acceptance of the Board's invitation for an
   inter-sessional meeting to address the GAC's outstanding concerns with the
   new gTLD process. The Board anticipates this meeting occurring in February
   2011, and looks forward to planning for this meeting in consultation and
   cooperation with the GAC, and to hearing the GAC's specific views on each
   remaining issue.
   2. Directs staff to make revisions to the guidebook as appropriate based
   on the comments received during the public comment period on the Proposed
   Final Applicant Guidebook and comments on the New gTLD Economic Study Phase
   II Report.
   3. Invites the Recommendation 6 Community Working Group to provide final
   written proposals on the issues identified above by 7 January 2011, and
   directs staff to provide briefing materials to enable the Board to make a
   decision in relation to the working group's recommendations.
   4. Notes the continuing work being done by the Joint Applicant Support
   Working Group, and reiterates the Board's 28 October 2010 resolutions of
   thanks and encouragement.
   5. Directs staff to synthesize the results of these consultations and
   comments, and to prepare revisions to the guidebook to enable the Board to
   make a decision on the launch of the new gTLD program as soon as possible.
   6. Commits to provide a thorough and reasoned explanation of ICANN
   decisions, the rationale thereof and the sources of data and information on
   which ICANN relied, including providing a rationale regarding the Board's
   decisions in relation to economic analysis.
   7. Thanks the ICANN community for the tremendous patience, dedication,
   and commitment to resolving these difficult and complex issues.

In preparation for our CWG response to this resolution then; The Co-Chairs
of the CWG asked staff for further clarification to assist in our understand
of the Board resolution.  This resulted (amongst other things) in the
following reply from Kurt => "...after the second meeting there were three
issues and the working group position in these three issues were roughly:
(1) the Board role (that in cases of an objection being upheld by the review
panel, (I.e., rejecting the TLD application), the Board must sustain the
objection by a majority vote). (2) Amending the discrimination standard:
changing "incitement to" or promotion of, to "incitement to and instigation
of"; and adding a number of terms that qualified as discrimination;  (3)
that ALAC and GAC have standing to make Limited Public Interest Objections
and should not have to pay the dispute resolution fee."

Therefore the Board is seeking by 7 January 2011 a proposal from the CWG for
the Board’s consideration, with regard to the three specific issues
discussed in the Cartagena resolution.  In preparing the proposal, it would
be helpful if the CWG would suggest specific revisions to the Proposed Final
Guidebook to address the CWG’s concerns with regard to each of these issues,
instead of making general statements that could be interpreted by
Staff/Board differently than the CWG interprets them.

It would also be useful to note the level of support for each of the
revisions, and also any background / rationale we have  for each so that the
Board may better understand our perspective(s)

With regard to the three specific issues described in the resolution, the
Board intended that staff members not to contribute directly to this
writing, however recognizing the extraordinary short time frame we have,
staff as they clarified for us the intent /meaning/requests to us in the
resolution, have categorized/organized the issues through a list of
questions for our consideration in drafting a summary of the Working Group
requests on each of the issues;  these are listed below and  some initial
text has been inserted  for us to edit and develop our response from.

********

*With regard to the first issue (the roles of the Board, GAC, and ALAC in
the objection process), we need to provide clarification regarding the
circumstances under which the CWG suggests that the Board would vote
regarding an application that is subject to a Rec6 Objection:-*

*
·      clarify the circumstances under which the Board would vote with
regard to an Rec6 objection and/or with gTLD applications generally,  *

(draft response) Based on the written responses to the pre-Cartagena
questions from the ICANN staff, as well as the various discussions during
the Cartagena meeting, the CWG has recommended that the Board would have to
specifically approve any recommendations from third party experts to reject
a TLD application based on a Recommendation 6 objection.  The CWG has not
suggested, however, that the Board be required to take a vote on specific
Recommendation 6 objections where the third party experts reject such an
objection.  Nor did the CWG suggest that the Board be required to approve
every new gTLD string.    <Jon>

*and*

*·      if there is consensus on it, clarify the intended role of the expert
panel (i.e., dispute resolution provider, mediator, advisor or other). *

(draft response)  A consensus of the CWG recommended that the ICANN Board
may "contract appropriate expert resources capable of providing objective
advice."  The CWG did not recommend that the Board should be a trier of fact
or should hear in the first instance every Rec6 objection with a requirement
that it make a determination on the merits in every case.

The CWG did not reach consensus over the actual form or weight of the expert
advice (e.g. whether the expert panel should be a dispute resolution
provider, mediator or advisor).  Some members of the CWG take a broader
definition of dispute resolution panel than others.  Some members think that
the experts should not hear from the objector and the applicant at all –
whether in a trial setting or written argumentation – others disagree and
support an adversarial process.  There was Strong Support, but not
consensus, that the experts should be able to look at the context of the
application or applicant in evaluating a Recommendation 6 objection – others
disagree and believe that the experts should conduct their analysis on the
basis of only the string.

While the CWG did not reach consensus on these issues, it did explicitly
remove all reference to "dispute resolution" in its recommendations, and
made no requirement that the experts engage in an adversarial process
between applicant and objector.  Furthermore, the CWG did achieve Strong
Support (though not full consensus) for not calling the evaluation process
one of "dispute resolution," and requiring that the experts' skills be in
legal interpretation of instruments of international law.<Jon>

********

*With regard to the incitement to discrimination criterion, we need to
confirm the specific language revisions the CWG requests with regard to the
“incitement to or promotion of” portion of the criterion.   After the
discussion in Cartagena, does the CWG continue to request that the standard
be “incitement and instigation” or is some other language preferable?   In
addition, the CWG could also state whether it still believes that the
standard should be expanded to include the list of additional discrimination
grounds that were referenced in the CWG Report:-*

*
·     CWG to confirm the specific language requested with regard to the
“incitement to or promotion of” term in the original standard.  After the
discussion in Cartagena, does the CWG continue to request that the term be
“incitement and instigation” or is some other language preferable?  *

(draft response) In its report dated 21 September, 2010, the CWG recommended
that "incitement and instigation" be used in the criteria for
discrimination.  In ICANN's explanatory memorandum on this issue dated 12
November 2010, it provided a rationale of why "incitement to or promotion
of" is a more appropriate standard.  Based on the ICANN response, the
discussions in Cartagena during which several CWG members stated that they
no longer agree with the recommendation, and some admitted confusion over
the legal impact of the word choice, the CWG may no longer have a consensus
on this issue NOTE -- confirm -- do we want to do a straw poll?  Do we want
to try to recommend substitute
language?<https://community.icann.org/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=atlarge&encodedTitle=Tk9URSAtLSBjb25maXJtIC0tIGRvIHdlIHdhbnQgdG8gZG8gYSBzdHJhdyBwb2xsPyDCoERvIHdlIHdhbnQgdG8gdHJ5IHRvIHJlY29tbWVuZCBzdWJzdGl0dXRlIGxhbmd1YWdlPw==&linkCreation=true&fromPageId=7209321>.
 With that said, many members of the CWG still argue that a higher standard
than "incitement to or promotion of" would be appropriate.   <Jon>

*·      the CWG needs to reiterate consensus on the standard including an
expanded list of additional discrimination grounds that were referenced in
the CWG Report.  *

(draft response) Two consensus recommendations of the CWG were to extend the
list of potential discriminations also to include discrimination based on
age, disability, actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity,
or political or other opinion.  The CWG also suggested by a full consensus
that such discriminations must rise to the level of violating generally
accepted legal norms recognized under "principles of international law."  As
such, any additional discriminations listed in the second prong still must
be found to be in violation of principles of international law.

We do not believe that recognizing additional discriminations would
significantly broaden the types of objections brought.  The CWG does not
believe that any additional research needs to be conducted on whether such
additional classes are protected under international law today.  It has been
brought to the CWG's attention that these additional discriminations have
some protection under international law.  If they are recognized today, then
the Board and the experts would rely on them.  If they are not at that level
yet, then they won't.  Importantly, such additional discriminations might be
recognized at some future date and the process should be fluid enough to
take them into account at such time.  The suggestion in Cartagena of a
catch-all discrimination criteria – such as "any other discriminations that
are generally recognized under international law" – seems to be acceptable
to many of the CWG members (confirm). <Jon>

**********

*With regard to the fees for GAC and ALAC-instigated objections, we need to
identify what (if any) fees should be charged and where the funds should
come from, and any other restrictions or additional steps that the CWG
suggests for dealing with GAC and ALAC-instigated objection:-*

*
·      what fees should be paid by ALAC and GAC (if filing and dispute
resolution fees are waived, are the number of free objections limited)*

*·       by what process is an ALAC and GAC objection formed and approved? *

(draft response) There was considerable discussion of this in the meeting,
and at this stage subject to ratification as a formal process of the ALAC it
is envisaged that ALAC would take recommendations of any of it's At-Large
organizations ALSes (who may either hold a Community based objection view
themselves  or  be passing such a concern on from the local Internet
Community that they are engages with or are representative for)  up through
the RALOs and then for ALAC consideration an ALAC vote for formally  raise
such an objection would require a super-majority vote to pass; and that the
GAC would develop a consensus based process.

(draft response) Also note here that in addition to the above use of the
"Community Objection" process by the ALAC and GAC; *If* the
Independent Objector
(IO) function is maintained in the processing of new gTLD Applications, then
 an alternate pathway for  AC objections  to be considered would be for the
IO to take up such formally prepared objection notices from the ALAC and/or
GAC and subject to the same standards of  check and balance criteria,
 assessment etc., as any other IO instigated objection process these as if
self instigated. <CLO added text>

>From our clarification document:

A full consensus of the CWG recommended that fees be lowered or removed for
objections from the GAC or ALAC.  It is outside the CWG’s scope to comment
on the process for the GAC or ALAC to lodge objections.  The CWG assumes
that any Rec 6 objections put forth by the GAC or ALAC will be approved
according its own internal processes.  <Jon>

*List here any other issues?*

*
*

*
*

Below is copy (FYI) of the earlier email interchanges over that last few
days, used in preparation of the above draft statement  and process
planning....