ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WG2-Who

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WG2-Who
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 12:01:10 +0200

Elaine,

I agree with your note below, however , to reiterate a point I made in a note
earlier today, I don't think applicants who apply for purely commercial strings
(e.g. .COFFEE) should receive support.  I think the strings for ''our"
applicants should be closely reflective of their identity as cultural,
linguistic, ethnic, religious or other groups.

I understand your point is about the non-profit/ for profit nature of the
applicant itself  (rather than the string)  but I just want to make sure we're
on the same page regarding the strings  we support.

Does anyone on the WG disagree with this?  Does anyone feel we should support
applicants who apply for broadly generic/ commercial strings?

RT