ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat room questions

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat room questions
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 06:35:58 -0700

Dear WG:

We had ~ 90 people live and ~ 28 participating remotely. Below you will find
the chat room questions/comments. The last questions listed below came when we
were running out of time.

This session is being recorded and transcribed and all will be available online
soon.

Thank you again for your time.

Karla

Danny_Younger: Director Toure, I am aware of a registry operator that handles a
limited amount of registrations, that doesn't charge any fee for registrations,
and that uses no registrar services.  Their organization's contract is up for
rebid next year, and we all know that the prospect of competition often
inspires new innovative solutions.   If this registry operator, the IANA, can
provide such registry services for IGOs by way of .int, is there any particular
reason why it couldn't be cajoled into providing equivalent registry services
for NGOs in the developing world, perhaps a similar .NGO TLD?

Mary_W: Just to be clear (missed the first part of this session) - the
basis/assumption is that support is only for community-based TLD apps (i.e. not
a standard TLD app, per DAGv4)? my question was based on a slide from Team 2
(1st round only for ethnic & linguisitc "communities", then try to define what
kind of "community" NGOs etc. are.

Mary_W: Well, to the extent that the 1st round recs are more likely to (and
more clearly be) candidates for community-based apps, I wondered if the JAS
considered the requirements & dispute resolution sections of DAG v4 as within
its mandate (e.g. fair/attainable by likely candidates)?dfs

John_McCormac_HosterStats: Will local ccTLD impact be part of the evaluation
process for community/linguistic gTLD proposals? basically the commercial
impact of a community/language gTLD on the local ccTLD where most of that
community/language group is based.

Erick_Iriarte_2: question.. how you define linguistic?, based in a region or in
a language dispersion?, example el quechua in Equator, Bolivia and Peru have
difference, but even inside Peru too

Erick_Iriarte_2: another question.. how is defined ethnic? in theory at this
moment everybody is half-blood :) so'... if the definition is legal or
territorial, example the peruvian aymaras are different than bolivian aymaras,
and politically could be complicated mixed both groups.. so give to only want
is politically incorrect.