ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "<soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] African statement
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:28:42 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I agree with Avri and others that there are good reasons why we should keep
this
open to groups regardless of structure (which would include for profits).

My two cents:

1) historical disadvantage is meaningful, including for for profits
As others have mentioned, its not anywhere close to a level playing field for
applicants of any structure coming from newer, less-resourced regions like
Africa.  The tools needed to make an application as currently envisioned are
disproportionately NOT available on the continent, or are very, very expensive.

Its not just a question of language costs.  The cost and scarcity of
consulting/legal help needed for an application in emerging markets is an
issue.  Also, finance is harder to find -- both access to credit, as well as
overall cost of credit, especially since as currently established the system
requires applicants to have all of their application money at the start of the
process.  Getting access to capital is significantly easier in markets with
stronger/older banking and credit systems.

2) structure and purpose aren't the same, and we want to encourage
sustainability
An entrepreneurial structure may provide the best chance for sustainability
regardless of the social mission of the enterprise.  Moreover, there are a
number of status categories -- NGO, for profit and any number of hybrids -- and
that the exact meaning of these differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
We've
also discussed the idea that a TLD that starts out with an NGO structure might
move toward financial self sufficiency and even growth as it expands its
market.  Suggests to me that we should leave it open.

Hope that's helpful. A

Andrew A.  Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting