ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] text for lines 269-270

  • To: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] text for lines 269-270
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:30:31 -0400

Elaine,

As I mentioned on the call, I'd like to see the focus of support for technical requirements encompass cooperation between applicants.

I don't think it is necessary to "discuss", as the "establish" includes this.

I think the cooperation point is made by expanding the "coordinating any assistance volunteered by providers" to "coordinating cooperation among qualified applicants, and assistance volunteered ..."

Also, because "provider" seems to mean registry service providers, implied as a total solution, but the reality is there are lots of partial solutions, such as the traditional secondary DNS server exchanges, co-location exchanges, ... I suggest we use something not tending to mean RSPs. Suggestion "third parties".

The "match [vendors] to qualified applicants; broker these relationships" phrasing concerns me. I've two thoughts, apparently going in different directions.

1. I'm aware that there exist one or more "registry technical service provider" which are engaging in what I'll characterize as "original pricing".

Matching vendors to applicants also means unmatching vendors to applicants, that is, pointing out practices which exploit the applicant's community. This tends to put "us" in the role of Registry Services Consumer Reports.

2. Brokering relationships for in-kind contributions seems as iffy as for in-cash contributions. It moves the locus of choice from "us" to the donor, and from "need" as we've identified them to "need" as the donor identifies them, which is likely to include self-benefit our SOI and DOI are intended to disclose and allow us to collectively correct for.

For want of better text I suggest stopping at the word "providers", inserting a period, and dropping the parenthetical and dependent clauses.

Final text: "Establish methods for coordinating cooperation among qualified applicants, and assistance volunteered by third parties.

Eric