ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] registry back up/ financial instrument

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] registry back up/ financial instrument
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 08:46:07 -0700

To elaborate on the 'financial instrument' issue we discussed towards the end
of the call.

Having a failover plan for another (a back-up) operator doesn't satisfy the
rationale for the 'financial continuity instrument'  ---   as there is no way
of knowing whether or not this
back-up operator will remain in business.     Just as the TLD registry could
fail,  so could the back-up operator.

Hence the DAG asks for the  financial continuity instrument which is
essentially enough cash to provide support for existing second level domain
holders until either (a) someone new takes over the failed registry,  or    (b)
 second level registrants in the failed TLD can 'migrate' to another TLD

So,  I think the main question is --   "How long would it reasonably take for
registrants in the failed TLD to rebrand themselves in a new TLD?"

My opinion is that 12 to 18 months is adequate.

Richard