ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On Vertical Integration

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On Vertical Integration
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 11:20:40 -0400

All,

On the call today there was discussion of the comment that qualified applicants are excepted from Vertical Separation requirements.

I'm repeating comments I made during the call.

The VI WG is not in broad agreement that qualified applicants should be excepted from Vertical Separation requirements.

First, the VI WG is dominated by contracted parties, registries and registrars, attempting to capture each other's margins.

Second, the VI WG blocks of advocates are committed to winning their goals, and have crafted positions that attempt to obtain the support of brand managers (non-contracted parties) and the ALAC members.

In summary:
o the "Free Trade" block of advocates is opposed to exception to the Vertical Separation requirements if it is limited, whether limited to qualified applicants in the SOAC sense, or to brand managers as advocated by the IPC, they want no limits on integration,

o the RACK+ block of advocates is divided on the issue of exceptions to Vertical Separation requirements, and opposed to them if the exception includes brand managers,

o the JN2 block of advocates is also divided on the issue of exceptions to Vertical Separation requirements, and opposed to them if the exception does not include brand managers,

o the CAM block of advocates, which includes a Co-Chair, proposes that national competition authorities determine if and when an applicant should be subject to Vertical Separation requirements,

o the IPC as a Constituency is only concerned with obtaining an exception to the Vertical Separation requirements for brands.

Being allowed to be both registry and registrar is attractive, but it has some disadvantages, and it also has limited utility. Richard can make this case, or I can, if it is necessary.

My recommendation is that the SOAC not take a position on the Vertical Separation requirements, and if it does take a position, that the position it takes is beneficial to the largest number of qualified applicants, and that is to support the Nairobi Resolution for strict separation between the registry and registrar function.

Eric