ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] 2nd draft of cover letter

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] 2nd draft of cover letter
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:35:08 -0400

Avri,

You've responded to the informal request for with two supporting rationals, first to market advantage and uncertainty of when or if subsequent planned policy-free mad stampeed will be permitted.

I suggest our first rational for offering support in the current round is that that is what the Board plainly sought in Resolution 20, and failing to do so would transform a Board Resolution from something mandatory to implement to something discretionary to implement.

In support of the market advantage observation I point out that all of the 2001 round applicants enjoyed a fantastic advantage over the applicants of 201x. Each was able to go to the market with the scarcity of the 2001 round (7-10), and the pre-dot-bomb valuation of anything approaching the com/net/org business. NeuStar was able to raise millions in investment, Afilias too was a joint stock investment beneficiary, and even CORE was able to charge a membership fee at a level unimaginable today. The 2001 applicants were able to start with millions in working capital or valuations of their assets.

Today's applicants have the disadvantage of the market having a decade of experience with ICANN, of delays and serious problems and domainer, registrar, and registry exploits, and the sunny optimism of the 1999-2001 market is dead.

Today's applicants have the disadvantage of the market anticipation of scarcity, even poverty, of new registry start-ups, due to the vast number of commercial exploits ICANN has made clear it will permit, to which the Great Recession of 2007-201x contributes, unlike the crash of March, 2001, which took place after the applicants were capitalized.

Finally on this point, unlike the 2001 and 2004 applicants who all sought to create revenue streams sufficient to meet their operating costs and service their debt, with no fratricide or sororicide interaction with other registry contract holders engaged in the same pursuit in a mostly disjoint market, the proposed ICANN contract only requires nominal execution of registry build-outs, and rational investors will sink the application fee and the minimal operating to meet the nominal contract obligations and exercise a highly fratricidal or soroicidal effect on subsequent attempts to enter the same or overlapped markets.

Unlike the past, a 201x ICANN registry contract is a low cost to acquire monopoly in a market, probably more so in IDN dependent markets, and certainly so in markets where linguistic, cultural or ethnic minorities are currently under-served or unserved by current registry operators.

In support of the uncertainty observation I point out that we don't know that the current form of the new gTLD process is any better than the 2001 or the 2004 new gTLD process, and it is imprudent to assume that the same process will be repeated without modification or delay on some fixed schedule. Manned moon landings took place twice in 1969, twice in 1971 and twice in 1972. There have been none since.

I hope this is helpful, that there is a line or two here that you can use to support our work.

Eric