ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: [council] Announcement from JAS working group

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: [council] Announcement from JAS working group
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:56:26 -0500

Chuck,

This is of course Council business, and my involvement is simply that of a JAS WG volunteer.

About a month ago I wrote Peter Dengate Thrush to ask if the conception he and Paul Twomey expressed at the Delhi meeting, which was the first time I encountered the "one string per application" construct, and which of course is ruinous for applicants using scripts the Unicode Consortium has constructed in such a way as to make variants frequent, which motivated Edmon and my attempt to discuss the problem with Peter and Paul, at the RyC-Board meeting.

I've not received a reply from the Chairman, and having given the issue some thought, it seems to me that where a user community exists which is linguistically plural, that we should be avoiding constructing the application process as causing incomplete ranking amongst the scripts and languages an applicant has the resources to offer to registrants.

We have the model that where we (the IANA function) can't agree over a delegation, e.g., ".eh" (Western Sahara), that we don't "pick one" and "ignore the other".

We have the model that where we (the new gTLD string contention process) can't agree between two or more Community applications with equivalent ranking, that we don't "pick one" and "ignore the other".

More broadly we have the model that we do no avoidable harm to communities with plural expectations of the consequences of an interaction with the ICANN Community.

Which leads me to suggest, as I did to Peter, and to the JAS WG, that we should view "an application" not as a string, but as the resources reasonably necessary to do the job.

In the case of a monolingual community, there is no change.

In the case of a linguistically plural community, the strings necessary so that no sub-community is disenfranchised through the lack of multiples of $185,000 (and all the trimmings).

In India there are 11 official scripts, and 22 official languages. An application for a reproductive health or rural economic development would, of necessity, have to deliver domain registration services in several languages, and several scripts, to avoid communitarian tensions. An application to assist the rural poor in a developing country could cost ten times what an application to offer a new feature to high-income urban elites in North America and Western Europe.

This is not unique to India, it is a feature in any current, or pre-existing "boarder" region, which globalization makes more common rather than less.

I trust this note does not distract from the formal WG to Chartering Bodies reportage, and that the GNSO retains a keen interest in managing the cost, and therefore the need for cost-recovery, for new gTLD applicants intending to extend the DNS and ICANN's service model to developing economies and minority language communities.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you in warm and sunny Cartagena.

Eric