ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Update of GNSO meeting on JAS

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Update of GNSO meeting on JAS
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:58:41 -0500

Hi,

Apologies that another meeting with the Board's Structural Improvements
Committee concerning renewal of our structure.

I will do this via a few bullets

- The GNSO Council has not yet approved our charter extensions.
- Neither have they rejected them.

- Much of the discussion was occupied by a proposed amendment to remove work
item c, from our proposed charter.
- This amendment was not voted on either.

- In the discussion it became obvious that both the Registries Stakeholder
Group (RySG) and the Registrar Stakeholder Group (RrSG) had decided to vote
against the charter extension.
- They stated that they view most of the items in the charter are beyond the
GNSO's scope
- At one point one of the RySG council members start suggesting along list of
charter item that should be removed.  I did not get the list, but it was rather
ridiculous.
- Both the RySG and RrSG insisted that their object had nothing to do with an
antipathy to supporting developing economies.

- At one point a RySG council member indicated that he did not understand why
we felt we needed a charter extension since by his reading, everything we
wanted to do was covered by our current charter.

- It was clear that we are still a chartered work and will still continues the
work.

- I think I made it clear that we had ALAC approval for the work and the Board'
encouragement that we continue working.  I also indicated that I was sure that
we would continue on with the work on the basis of the current charter and the
ALAC approval of the extended charter.

I hope to get to the end of the meeting.

As an Agenda, I was thinking:

- Discussion of the feed back we received this week
- Discussion of how we wanted to move forward, including a discussion of
whether it was time to pick new co-chairs and a first discussion of working
methods for getting the work ahead done.