ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the issue of fund raising, auctions and monies.

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the issue of fund raising, auctions and monies.
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:42:57 -0500

Avri, Colleagues,

When I proposed a Development responsibility and the $10,000,000 number, I mentioned that in addition to possible sources of funding external to the current Stakeholders and extended Community, and the possible sources of funding or in-kind contribution by registry technical services providers, or entities providing less than the complete set of services applicants must account for in their applications, with the cooperation of registrars a third source of funding is possible, from registrants who want to offer much smaller dollar amounts, but in larger numbers, through registrars willing to add the "dollar (or variable denomination) checkbox".

I don't think we know what the registrar's response to this is, yet.

Some points I would like to make on fund raising.

a - There are two ways in which outside funding can come into this process:

This overlooks the in-kind, but that may be intentional.

b - In the first instance there just needs to be a way to match the donor with
the applicant (after qualification of  course)

This assumes that we allow donors to choose beneficiaries. There are advantages, and disadvantages, to either choice.

c - in the second instance there needs to be a way to properly/legally receive
and administer the funds.

Not "vertically integrated with unknown controls" to borrow from the VI mess, but we don't yet know from ICANN Corporate counsel if a distinct entity is required, or simply a distinct accounting so that this is not co-mingled in the "general fund". How the desired functional separation is implemented is TBD.

d - in terms of auctions ...

No comment.

e - ... if recommendations made by this group, like the staged payment of fees

Agree. There is also retro-active fee reduction as a possibility, which is windfall revenue (and of keen interest to the applicant looking at each of the first 8 quarters of anticipated revenues from higher revenue oer unit portions of the registry's inventory). There is also the recurring fee, which at $25k/year is still onerous.

f - Even if the money from auctions are not available at the beginning ...until
such a 'foundation' is created, all of this is moot.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Offers may remain "offers" until applied to an applicant, so this could be a "cashless" activity and still yield cash benefits (in-kind overlooked for the moment) to qualified applicants, with all accounting done in chits rather than in cash.

I don't disagree with Avri's conclusion beginning with "Thus".

The HSTLD AG published an RFI intending to get industry response to its "High Security" proposal (ask me over a beer what I think of it), and other bits of the Policy Development Processes have solicited external comment, paid and unpaid.

No one currently in the JAS has a recent work history as the development director of an NGO that ran a campaign to raise a seven or eight figure fund, and we do have some ICANN awareness from the corporate counsels of NGOs that do run such campaigns.

I propose we start on the task of asking those with specific discipline knowledge (subject matter expertise) what we could be asking candidates for the role of actually raising funds.

UNESCO has published an RFP, the ICRC and American Red Cross have commented on ... the issues Debbie cares most about, we have some starting points, some initial contacts with clue as to what we're about, and clue as to what international development in the seven and eight figure ranges is about.

Eric