ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] In lieu of a call today ...

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] In lieu of a call today ...
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:45:34 -0500

On 1/4/11 11:58 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

On 4 Jan 2011, at 11:30, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

Colleagues,

 From my perspective, the ad hoc group suggested by the Names Council on the
8th, the call for volunteers for which Glen announced to the
soac-newgtldapsup-wg on the 22nd, has one day to decide if it is going to
decide anything on the JAS WG re-charter issue in time for the Names Council to
consider a motion on January 15th.

There are now three draft motions, the second I personally find the least
conductive to what I think the JAS WG should or can attempt now that the
Milestone Report is out for comment.

Cheers,
Eric

By three, do you mean:

1 - the original that was approved by ALAC
2 - the version proposed by Jeff
3 - the compromise wording i proposed that tried to include some of your
rewording.

Yes. The Original (JAS WG proposed and ALAC approved), the Redline (Jeff Neuman's version) and the Blueline (msword smithing apparently done by Wulf-Ulrich Knoben.

btw the compromise i offered looks like this now (in discussion with Rafik I
have suggested a clarification to 'd' that is along the same lines as the
compromise statements I proposed for the other statements - which were
essentially to replace the notion of 'Establish ...' with the notion of
'Propose ...'

These were fairly harmless changes of language.

the other part of the offered compromise was to use wording you suggested (I
took it as a suggestion in any case) for 'c' that left out explicit mention of
auctions and foundations.

I noticed that.

1b. Motion for JAS WG charter extension in response to ICANN Board resolution
about supporting applicants and for completing a list of further work items.

In my mind the big items are those I mentioned in part II of my note to the ad hoc group of the 30th. I'd like to see my concern over the over the relationship of the parties, assisting and assisted, squashed.

Eric

Made by: Rafik Dammak
Seconded by: Bill Drake

Whereas:

The GNSO Council and ALAC established the Joint SO/AC Working group on support
for new gTLD applicants in April of 2010;  and

The Working Group has completed the work as defined in its initial charter and
published a Milestone report on 10 November 2010 covering those chartered items
and including a list of further work items that it recommended further work on;
 and

In recognition of the ICANN Board's resolution 2010.10.28.21 in response to an
Interim report from the JAS WG, which states:
the Board encourages the JAS WG and other stakeholders to continue their work
on the matter, and in particular, provide specific guidelines on the
implementation of their recommendations such as determining the criteria for
eligibility for support.

Resolved:

1. The charter of the Joint SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group is
extended to include the following objectives:

a) Propose the criteria for financial need and a method of demonstrating that
need. Financial need has been established as the primary criterion for support.
The group should be augmented to have the necessary expertise to make a
specific recommendation in this area, especially given the comparative economic
conditions and the cross-cultural aspects of this requirement.

b) Propose mechanisms, e.g. a review committee that would need to be
established operating under the set of guidelines established in the Milestone
Report and those defined in objective (a) above, for determining whether an
application for special consideration is to be granted and what sort of help
should be offered;

c) Propose mechanism(s) for revenue income and other asset management to
support new gTLD applicants who meet the criteria as established in objective
(a) of this charter amendment.

d) Discuss with Backend Registry Service Providers the extent of of
coordination, to be given by Backend Registry Service Providers (e.g. brokering
the relationships, reviewing the operational quality of the relationship) and
propose methods for coordinating that assistance.

e) Discuss and propose methods for coordinating any assistance volunteered by
providers (consultants, translators, technicians, etc.); match services to
qualified applicants; broker these relationships and review the operational
quality of the relationship.

f) Propose methods for coordinating cooperation among qualified applicants, and
assistance volunteered by third parties.

g) In cooperation with ICANN Staff and donor experts propose policies and
practices for fundraising and for establishing links to possible donor
agencies. This activity may include assisting in the establishment of initial
relationships with any donor(s) who may be able to help in first round with
funding

h) Review the basis of the US$100,000 application base fee to determine its
full origin and to propose a percentage of that fee that could be waived for
applicants meeting the requirements for assistance. Work with the ICANN new
gTLD implementation staff to determine how the fee waivers would be
accommodated.

i) Design mechanisms to encourage the build out of Internationalized Domain
Names (IDNs) in small or underserved languages.

2. The Working group is asked to present a schedule for the work that allows
for completion in time for the opening of the application round, currently
scheduled for Q2 2011, in any event no delays for the new gTLD program should
result from the working group’s work.