ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS New gTLD Applicant Support WG Charter

• To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS New gTLD Applicant Support WG Charter
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:28:58 -0500

On 1/14/11 9:04 AM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:
Thank you Alan, Avri, Alex and Eric,

Indeed, it’s disappointing.

But it was expected, and since Cartagena, we were convinced that it
will happen.

I didn't think it was a foregone conclusion, so I put time and past relationships into the effort.

However, what I consider an adverse outcome has transpired.

The Registry SG is hardly monolithic, and Caroline, Jordi, Ray, Cary and perhaps one or two others (a) know and care what it is like to be low-cap applicants, and (b) have no expectations of gaining some marketing collateral benefit from providing assistance.

Will they be able to change the position of the RySG? Probably not, but there's more to this than just the momentary majority of the RySG.

Similarly, there are registrars who plan to submit applications to operate registries, and registrars who plan operate the back ends of third-party contracted registries, who have a kind of interest in the outcome of assistance to needs qualified applicants, and registrars that intend to remain registrars, who lack that specific interest in the outcome of assistance, and may have a greater interest in the existence of new inventories than in their control, and the ease of their being able to integrate those inventories in their existing product offering than in any other interest.

To repeat, neither of the contracted parties are monolithic.

We decided to try to find other constituencies to join the JAS WG, and
we were thinking especially to the GAC. We really need to get closer
to them. Who is taking the lead for such thing? I understood that Evan
and Olivier were trying. Is there any chance to have the GAC as a
chartered organisation for this WG?

I think the ccNSO is a candidate. Several ccNSO operators have an interest in either adding generic registries to their existing capabilities, for economic reasons, or in being regional guarantors of continuity operations, for non-economic reasons.

The GAC is another. Various governments have "digital divide" programs, and as .cat showed, minorities with nationalistic aspirations can be accommodated by other means than repression or iso 3166 status.

The ASO is another. Through the RIRs to the LIRs to the transit and IX operators. They have bandwidth and facilities and they can be asked for "credits" against their network charges and "footprint" in their data centers, which is a heck of a lot more attractive than "hosting courtesy of {NeuStar, etc.} in Northern Virginia.

In any case, I do stick to the version adopted by ALAC, and don’t see
any reason that ALAC changes and joins the GNSO version.

Agree.

Yes Alan, it’s a pity that we lost the 2 or 3 last weeks. We were
supposed to rush and try to be on time for a proposal to the board
before the launch of the final DAG edition.

Agree. Lets continue.

Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy