ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Estimating the cost of continuity capacity

  • To: "tdg-legal@xxxxxxxxx" <tdg-legal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Estimating the cost of continuity capacity
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:47:17 -0500

TDG-Legal Colleagues,

I just looked over the January 2011 numbers for .cat.

The sum of all add, modify, or delete operations on all objects for the month was 48012, slightly greater than the number of domains.

The definition of "object" in this registry includes domain objects, contact object, and host objects.

I propose that we agree that as a estimating tool, that the sum of all operations on all objects, is equal to the number of domain objects in the registry.

This means that we ignore the (check + info) operations, .cat had 1,361,398 of these, the (check only) operations, .cat had an additional 1,147,927 of these, and the (info only) operations, .cat had an additional 213,471 of these. The reason we ignore these 2.7m transactions is that they are non-essential to continuity operations.

These are also read-only operations, and on average complete in half the time as add, modify and delete operations.

The reason we need not ignore the add operations is two part. First, we know registry's growth rate and can factor out the add operations to a first order. In the case of .cat the growth rate is 10k/year, or 1k/month with an 80% renewal rate. Second, the add, modify and delete operations are reported as an aggregate, and the contribution of the add operations is less than a quarter of all transactions.

I further propose that we agree that the operations are not highly clustered in time, that they occur during 2000 hours of a 8760 hour year corresponding to a 5 day work week of 8 hour days, and with uniform distribution within those 2000 hours.

If you agree to these two proposals, we may define a continuity transactional load in units of 10k domain registrations at the point of transition to continuity.

(10k domain objects) x (12 months) = 120,000 transactions/year

120,000 / 2000 = 60 transactions/hour

I propose therefore a continuity transactional capacity definition of one transaction/minute for a standard "unit" of 10k domain objects.

It is possible that registries with unlimited admission policies have radically different transactional properties. Not wanting to apply data from the application of a community-based ("sponsored" in the 2004 contractual form) admission policy to applications lacking that, or any restriction on admission, I propose the 1t/min/unit apply to applications designated as "community-based" in the pending evaluation.

If this is not an acceptable definition for continuity transactional capacity, please let me know. Again "unit" here is 10k domains.

If we can agree to this, and if we assume that the transactions should be completed in 3 seconds or less, for nearly all transactions, then the continuity transactional capacity cost can be defined by the cost for systems capable of completion of all i/o and computation associated with a standard database and read/write operation in 3 seconds.

I will offer estimates on the cost of zone file generation, and name server capacity following the same methodology, modulo the caveat above on acceptable definition for continuity transactional capacity.

Eric