ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] RESENT Proposal for application fee reduction

  • To: Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx>, Mike Silber <silber.mike@xxxxxxxxx>, "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] RESENT Proposal for application fee reduction
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:33:07 -0700

All,

I think there's misunderstanding regarding the basis of the $60K risk
component.

In the thread below there seems to be a focus on litigation, but that sort of
cost does not play a strong role in the documents explaining the $60K.

I believe this is the most recent analysis of the $185K fee --
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/cost-considerations-04oct09-en.pdf

Para 3 (3) on page 6 and Section 3.3 on pages 11 and 12 are the most relevant.
  These extracts define risk more in terms of unexpected costs relating to the
evaluation process itself.  For example:

•       What would happen if many more or many fewer applications were received
than anticipated?
•       How simple or complex will the average application be (dictating how
many process steps must be executed for each application)?
•       Have expected fees by outside consultants been estimated correctly?
•       Are the time estimates for each task accurate?
•       What happens if additional tasks are required?
•       Have expenses for support functions such as information technology
systems, legal support, contract support, and the like been fully identified?
•       Will additional external costs be required to shore up defense against
unanticipated events?

Although litigation costs could become part of this, I think the $60K is
largely based on unexpected changes to the 100+ procedures that form the
evaluation process.

Richard