ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD Applicant Support - May 6

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD Applicant Support - May 6
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 08:01:23 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 8:00 AM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the JAS call on Friday 06 May 2011
  Cintra
Sooknanan:https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/JAS+Issues+and+Recommendations
  Cintra Sooknanan:Evan is dialiing in now
  Gisella Gruber-White:Sebastien Bachollet has joined the call
  Evan Leibovitch:there has been extensive change to part 3 and part 4 of the
document since last call.
  Evan Leibovitch:PLEASE review
  Cintra Sooknanan:Thanks Evan
  Elaine Pruis:please read aloud the part you are asking about?
  Evan Leibovitch:It's the third sentence of the document. No time to read
al;oud
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:"The Working Group has determined, at this time, that
best possible process to provide support for such applications is to be done
through a confidential process that is parallel to, and not a replacement of,
the ICANN Applicant Guidebook. Thus, even after the Guidebook is formally
approved, this WG can continue its work to refine those components of its
mandate which remain unresolved."
  Sébastien:At its Brussels meeting with the GAC in late 2010 held to discuss
the Scorecard
  Sébastien:it was end of February 2011
  Sébastien:comment on part 1
  Elaine Pruis:there has been support for adding social benefit language on the
mailing list
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:will there be a points scoring system for 3.1.1 to
3.1.5 ?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:section 3.0
  Sébastien:What about a new setup organization?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:3.0.3 then
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:agree with 3.0.3
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:being used as notation
  Eric Brunner-Williams:for improved discussion of the specific phrases of
text, it would help if line numbers were present. then we could say "at line
NN, change 'fish' to 'fowl'"
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:3.0.1 , 3.0.2, 3.0.3
  Cintra Sooknanan:The WG achieved a consensus that as long as the Applicant is
providing build-out of a language whose web-presence is limited and they meet
the other criteria, price support should be recommended.The WG did achieve
consensus that as long as the Applicant is providing build-out of a language
whose web-presence is limited and they meet the other criteria we should give
support.
  Cintra Sooknanan:these are the two sentences
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Evan - can you save & we can re-load the page, please?
  Evan Leibovitch:done
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:thx
  Eric Brunner-Williams:3.1.2, editorial nit: the "script" and "idn" language
can be changed to "language", and i'll provide suggested language
  Eric Brunner-Williams:3.1.2, substantive issue: "bundling" did not achieve
consensus, and removal of the reference could help this section for meaning and
consensus
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Re: "non-profit" vs. "for profit", if we wish only non
profit, then this might be incompatible with the use of the term "entrepreneur"
- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/entrepreneur
  Elaine Pruis:hesitant to remove bundling but not confidentiality? why?
  Alan Greenberg:Please note, we are NOT submitting this to the Board. We are
submitting it to the ALAC and GNSO.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:3.1.3, sub item 4: suggested language:  "Applications
by Indigenous Peoples, as described in Article 1 of Convention No. 169 of the
International Labor Organization."
  Cintra Sooknanan:what about the evaluation on Governments
  Eric Brunner-Williams:3.1.3, sub item 5: i will supply language that will
cover the rom (gypsies) and other stateless peoples with some citation that
will meet the "objective definitinal" requirement
  Cintra Sooknanan:Applications by governments or government-owned
entities(NOTE: By consensus of the WG, purely Governmental or para-statal
applicants have been listed as not entitled to receive support. However, at the
ICANN San Francisco meeting the WG received a request from the GAC to consider
including Government applications from Developing Countries for support.  The
WG will work to obtain a mutually acceptable definition and criteria to fit
Government applications with the GAC WG, but recognizes the difficulty in
measuring a government’s “need” and concern of the appropriateness of offering
support for one government over another if resources are limited. The GAC WG
has offered to review the JAS criteria and provide its recommendations on a
formulation of a solution for possible support to Developing Country Government
applications.)
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@elain: possibly because "confidentiality" is a recent
add by one or few, and "bundling" has been argued by andrew for ever.
  Carlton Samuels:+1 Alain
  Eric Brunner-Williams:my skype id: abenaki.wabanaki.net
  Alain Berranger:Eric - Skype id for Alain: alain.berranger
  Carlton Samuels:..or the line that goes forward will be " There is no
consensus.  But we are sure that for the applicant support purposes, income may
not be a good indicator of financial need"
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan:  I support
  Tijani:sorry Eric,
  Elaine Pruis:sorry, i'm running out the door for a meeting. cheers
  Cintra Sooknanan:bye Elaine, thanks for your comments
  Cintra Sooknanan:we didn't know the criteria
  Cintra Sooknanan:yes
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:indeed
  Cintra Sooknanan:yes
  Cintra Sooknanan:links were on the list
  Cintra Sooknanan:but they have to be updated given the new process
  Cintra Sooknanan:and criteria
  Cintra Sooknanan:A. Yes once approved for Support-B. the Applicant enters the
DAG process (is registered in the TAS and pays the $5,000 deposit; the
Application is checked for completeness; IF the above is ok and there is no
anticipated contention the Application then progresses to being posted,
Objection period, Background Screening, IE results posted)C. An Audit is done
on the Application, Applicant and its partners to ensure it is still
eligible/needy. During the Needy application process and at certain points of
the DAG we perform this Audit (Part 3) to ensure the Applicant is still
eligible or needy. Suggest that this occurs upon initial evaluation of the
Applicant, and if the Applicant is approved Needy in the DAG process just after
the IE results are posted, and repeated just after there is no string
contention.D. If so, then the Application progresses in the DAG through
Objections phase... String ContentionE. IF the above is ok and there is no
string contention then an Audit is done on the Applicant and its partners
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:JAS
Overview:https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1J0IpviG_n2vqKHIPSqKkaPPx7P1TeWHyXz4pOIfx_vQ&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKmw7-0BStep
 1 of simplified JAS
overview:https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1WSVCv-euLCWG3v0Gif8oNUg91UULgaCqnjDWxJL-5hY&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIahq94HAttempt
 to create detailed Step
1:https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1UuK_BtBc1bhnlJXMEMTJhYTozyThl-Lo8fdpxdq18xU&hl=en_GB&authkey=CLaMyrYB
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:JAS Overview:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1J0IpviG_n2vqKHIPSqKkaPPx7P1TeWHyXz4pOIfx_vQ&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKmw7-0B
  Carlton Samuels 2:yes
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Step 1 of simplified JAS overview:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1WSVCv-euLCWG3v0Gif8oNUg91UULgaCqnjDWxJL-5hY&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIahq94H
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:posted April 5
  Carlton Samuels 2:Say one line - ICANN must appoint an external evaluator
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@dev, on what call(s) were the slides walked through by
you, and sugstantively discussed by the call participants?
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:April 5 call and the April 8 call
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:but not many comments were received
  Carlton Samuels 2:I dont't think we need to be so paternalistic as to advise
the Board to reference Applicant Support in the DAG!
  Evan Leibovitch:just a mention to alert potential applicants that a support
program exists
  Carlton Samuels 2:Outline is good!
  Carlton Samuels 2:External evaluator especially due to the politics of this!!
  Carlton Samuels 2:I have to go.....
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:So Alan - you are ok with the ALAC not having a say on
any panel, then?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I just want to make sure
  Cintra Sooknanan: Support may stop in two ways1. Discharged- Aid stops upon
notification to the Applicant and the Applicant and/or its partners may have to
repay some or all of the funds already spent on the application. The Applicant
may proceed with the Application at this point at its own cost.2. Revoked or
cancelled- used in cases where the Applicant was wrongly granted support (for
example granted support as a result of giving false information about
finances), the Applicant and/or its partners will have to pay all the funds
already spent on the application and the application will be revoked/discarded
at that point
  Cintra Sooknanan:do we want to include this?
  Gisella Gruber-White:Carlton has left the call
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:how much time do you still need, Evan?
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Can we extend?
  Evan Leibovitch:that depends on the people charged with adding wording: Alan,
Alain and Eric
  Cintra Sooknanan: Support may stop in two ways1. Discharged- Aid stops upon
notification to the Applicant and the Applicant and/or its partners may have to
repay some or all of the funds already spent on the application. The Applicant
may proceed with the Application at this point at its own cost.2. Revoked or
cancelled- used in cases where the Applicant was wrongly granted support (for
example granted support as a result of giving false information about
finances), the Applicant and/or its partners will have to pay all the funds
already spent on the application and the application will be revoked/discarded
at that point
  Cintra Sooknanan:the Applicant does not give information of the Application,
itself and/or its partners when requested;the Application's, Applicant’s and/or
its partners’ financial and other circumstances change so that they are no
longer eligible/needy;the Applicant withholds information about the Applicant,
itself and/or its partners regarding its financial and other circumstances;
orit is discovered that the Application, Applicant and/or its partners are no
longer eligible/needy
  Tijani:Sorry, I have to leave
  Eric Brunner-Williams:bye all
  Cintra Sooknanan:bye