ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Part 5 Process/How are gTLD applications evaluated against the above criteria?

  • To: Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Part 5 Process/How are gTLD applications evaluated against the above criteria?
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 10:29:46 -0400

*Dear Cintra, dear all:*
*
*Minor edit suggestions embedded in your text below....*
*
*
* BTW, I really object to using the term "needy"... "needy", as per Oxford
Dictionary of English, when referring to circumstances (our case), means
"characterized by poverty"... the notion of poverty is a complex issue (The
World Bank and IDRC research has shown that so called "poor" communities use
over 500 indicators of poverty, depending on cultural and socio-economic
values). In our case, much better IMHO to use the term "in need of financial
assistance"... I don't think that is drifting away from the spirit of the
Board's instructions or our charters... it is just better English... better
communication...*
*
*
*Cheers, Alain