ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript from JAS WG - May 31 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript from JAS WG - May 31 2011
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:12:48 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:12 AM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Gisella Gruber-White 2:Welcome to the JAS call on Tuesday 31 May 2011
  Eric Brunner-Williams:thanks gisella
  CLO:hi there I assume I'll get a dial out soon :?
  CLO:there we go
  Eric Brunner-Williams:dialing in now
  CLO:here  I am in the call
  Carlton Samuels:Morning All
  Eric Brunner-Williams:on the subject of the general public meeting, as the
means for remote participation will be available, the presentation of sm2
issues, and response to questions, need not necessarily be the responsibilities
of those who happen to be present in singapore.
  Carlton Samuels:So noted Eric
  Eric Brunner-Williams:as a meeting preparation issue, the remote
participation allows this working group to plan its presentation beyond the ad
hoc, and planned, presentation(s) and response(s).
  Eric Brunner-Williams:by those physically present at the venue.
  Elaine Pruis:guidebook posted
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/rfp-redline-30may11-en.pdf
  Eric Brunner-Williams:thanks elaine
  Gisella Gruber-White 2:Dave Kissoondoyal has joined the call
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Hello everybody..sorry to be late
  CLO:I can not attend  the TUE Meeting  next week as it clashes with the ccNSO
Council call
  Elaine Pruis:AGB language applicable to our work: 1.2.10 Resources for
Applicant Assistance A variety of support resources are available to gTLD
applicants. For example, ICANN may establish a means for providing financial
assistance to eligible applicants, as well as providing a webpage as an
informational resource for applicants seeking assistance, and organizations
offering support. More information will be available on ICANN’s website at
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld- program.htm.9
  Gisella Gruber-White 2:We are looking into the noisy line
  Gisella Gruber-White 2:Cintra Sooknanan has joined the call
  CLO:The proposal was for 7th  OR 10th  Carlton  but if you settled for 7th
fine
  CLO:note my apols
  Eric Brunner-Williams:where in the mailing list was this call and the
alternative dates mentioned?
  CLO:I will try and at least be in the AC room however
  Andrew Mack:so, just to confirm, is the final date next tuesday?
  CLO:apparently  @ Andrew
  Carlton Samuels:@Andrew:  Yes, we proffered 7th.....it will be sumbitted via
Katim
  rafik:@Eric we were discussing the dates in the call that is why it was
proposed in the agenda,
  Gisella Gruber-White 2:Evan has disconnected
  Eric Brunner-Williams:we're now 20 minutes into the call, on a housekeeping
issue that could have been sent to the list, at least to state the question
before the call, i think it wasn't until 10 min into the call that i understood
what you and carlton were actually talking about. i could be dense, reading
email before the call can save call time.
  Gisella Gruber-White 2:Evan is back on the call
  Eric Brunner-Williams:as an alternative, the question could have been posted
in the note area of the adobeconnect in the current session
  Elaine Pruis:some fees have been unbundled: extended evaluation, objection
  Rafik 2:@Eric can you please focus in the current item please,
  Elaine Pruis:so perhaps there is a some logic for not unbundling auction
  CLO:The matter of  options  for bundling  and  JAS  applications  being able
to be staggered  is the essential issue  not (IMO)  the mere "justification of
any particupar part of the costs  estomate...
  Karla Valente:Please see the financial question on the note.
  Elaine Pruis:i'm in the que....
  Elaine Pruis:please
  Eric Brunner-Williams:assuming "pay as you go" (the alternative to
all-up-front, the current dag payment model for the base fee), the applicant
has on the order of two years to complete their trajectory to transition to
delegation
  Alan Greenberg:What it would do is add insult to injury!
  CLO:YES I agree with  what @Evan is outlining  now  and I do not see the need
to link default issues  with our  JAS work mandate
  Alan Greenberg:We are dividing applicants into two groups, those who have
enough money to pay and those who need help. Now we are saying if you are in
the latter group, and you have additional problems, we will unilaterally take
your idea and auction it off for our or other applicant's benefit.
  Carlton Samuels:@Karla:  Can you please indicate if ou got the questions
  Karla Valente:I have placed a summary based on e-mails as we go. Please see
notes
  Eric Brunner-Williams:call failed, see chat
  Eric Brunner-Williams:back on call
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: the concept of auctions I hear is just plain contrary
  Karla Valente:Do you alla agree on what is on the Notes under FINANCIAL?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:what did you want rafik?
  Katim S. Touray:I'm just quiet
  Rafik 2:@eric as you dropped call, I wanted to ask you if you want to
continue your questions
  Eric Brunner-Williams:nope. it is in the chat.
  Karla Valente:I am waiting for Andrew on the questions to be added under
Financial.
  Andrew Mack:working on it Karla, just trying to listen to Elaine
  Karla Valente:@ Andrew. Thank you
  Alan Greenberg:Regarding reduced fees for multipl IDN applications. We are
clearly split on this and this concept is not likely to receive full consensus.
Let's just accept that.
  Elaine Pruis:i like data-no problem with that
  Elaine Pruis:but again, in order to get real data we'll have to wait a round
  Carlton Samuels:My line was bumped
  Carlton Samuels:Can I be reconnected please
  Carlton Samuels:My line was dropped so I'm orphaned!
  Carlton Samuels:Can't hear anyone..so
  Elaine Pruis:i think alan's point is that we are not going to get ICANN to
change the basis of their fee structure... so let's spend time on where we do
have some power---like further defining our MR@
  Elaine Pruis:MR2
  Andrew Mack:Karla, my questions were two:  1) regarding Cintra's idea of
insurance to more efficiently address (and lower the cost of) risk
provisioning, I was asking if ICANN had looked at this and if we had
information on this as a possibility
  Elaine Pruis:has anyone checked the report against the charter? have we
answered all the questions presented to us?
  Carlton Samuels:@Karla:  Can you ask the provider to conference me please?
  Alan Greenberg:Carlton, are you coming back?
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: No sir!
  Carlton Samuels:I want to but I have to be conferenced by the operator
  Eric Brunner-Williams:agree that asking the incremental bundling question is
a distraction, could live without the 5 minutes on averages, as if that was
private knowledge.
  Alan Greenberg:RAfik is back now.
  Carlton Samuels:I'm back
  Andrew Mack:2) harkening back to Eric's point about assuming that each
application is taken separately, if two applications were packaged together
(e.g. ASCII + IDN), the question is simple: what would be tjust he incremental
technical costs of adding the IDN  to support underserved language communities
  Evan Leibovitch:I would like to start a brief discussion on what we will need
from ICANN staff in order to move ahead. Personally, I think that amongst the
specific details that we need is a detailed breakdown of the $185K. Such a
detail breakdown must indicate how much of the $185K is allocated to:- cover
the actual (ie, real time) cost to process the application- apply various tests
and controls (ie contention) that may not be appropriate to JAS-qualified
applications- repay costs of historic policy work- replenish the reserve fund
for costs incurred by previous applications (ie, .XXX)- mitigate risk of
lawsuits- fund any other relevant cost category (i'm quite sure I don't have
them all here)I would also like to obtain a fairly comprehensive set of the
assumptions and formulas that have been made in order to deduce the current
scheme.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:the question is not "simple", because to arrive at any
answer other than 2 x the base fee, the application evaluation model has to
allow the relationship between two applications to be discovered by the
evaluators.
  Evan Leibovitch:+1 CLO
  Eric Brunner-Williams:worst call ever
  CLO:ble  wast of all our time
  Evan Leibovitch:(and we've had some pretty bad ones)
  Stéphane Van Gelder:An interesting call...
  CLO:from it @Stephane
  Rafik 2:@stephane thanks for your interest and comment
  Stéphane Van Gelder:I was just trying to inject some humor, srry it fell flat
Rafik.
  Elaine Pruis:asking this question is a waste of our time
  CLO:Everything  we have said here has aoready been "discussed{ in the list
has it not
  Elaine Pruis:we've asked it, not gotten  an answer that we 'Like"
  Andrew Mack:if not simple, Eric, at least would be good to understand the
assumptions.
  CLO:SO  does any one  think that the listed  points above are NOT clear
enough and concise or detailed enough  to go voa  Kalr  Yes  or NO
  Eric Brunner-Williams:we spend a lot of time listening to co-chairs try to
say something, so cutting off a discussion simply because it is between two
working participants is not equitable.
  Karla Valente:@Rafic, Carlton: What Legal questions do we want. I am not
clear from the mailing list.
  Evan Leibovitch:We can't even know if we like it or not, but cause there's
not eno9ugh there.
  CLO: that shouod have taken  much less tiome
  Evan Leibovitch:This is a core transparency and accountability issue.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:improvements are possible, not impossible.
  Evan Leibovitch:There is not sufficient detail to like or not
  Elaine Pruis:like a kid that can't take 'no' for an answer--there has to be a
starting point.  Over the entire AGB development the $185 fee has not moved...
why would it now
  CLO:@ Elaine  as I have said before  other than to see what might be able to
be  unbundeoled in terms of payment s staggeroing  etc.,  I see no point  in
herniating  too much over the disection of the costs...  lets assume it is a
dartboard exercise   and get on woth  JAS  issues...  after all the alternate
is for the true costs to be definned by experience on the first round  and
needy applicants  wait for later rounds  NPT our preferred option
  Eric Brunner-Williams:do you co-chairs think it would help if you co-chairs
spoke with whom ever has originated the call's agenda items before the
con-call, rather than guessing your co-chairs understanding (and possibly
mis-understanding) during the concall?
  Evan Leibovitch:Not taking "no" for an answer is perfectly justified. Maybe
ICANN needs soma parenting lessons
  Elaine Pruis:time for me to get to work. enjoy your day.
  Carlton Samuels:Thanks all