ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from JAS WG - June 3 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from JAS WG - June 3 2011
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 22:29:47 -0700

From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 10:14 PM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the JAS call on Friday 3 June 2011
  Tijani:Hi
  Tijani:I will be leaving at 13:30
  Gisella Gruber-White:Alan Greenberg has joined the call
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i've not seen any acknowledgement to the note i sent on
the continuity instrument as a question to steff,
  Gisella Gruber-White:Andrew Mack has joined the call
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i'm nore interested in the questions from questions
from the non-working group members (board and/or gac) than in the responses to
them, in this limited time period
  elaine pruis:email to the list the consensus poitions and the "rules"
(limited time, no grand-standing for personal position ) before the
call--specify those items that don't have full consensus in the email and on
the call
  Evan Leibovitch:I have ZERO intentions of answering questions, so much as to
collect them
  Evan Leibovitch:+1 EBW
  Gisella Gruber-White:Eric has disconnected
  Gisella Gruber-White:He is back
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i managed to drop my self off the call rather than
muting, so i haven't heard anything until now
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Hello all, sorry i am late in the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:Dave Kissoondoyal joined the call
  Eric Brunner-Williams:is this sebastian speaking?
  rafik:yes
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Good point, Eric
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i think i heard some discussion of a sunday meeting (at
the public meeting), and of course only some of those with icann travel support
may be present for any meeting outside of the monday-thursday dates, that
gathering questions from those who meet, on any date, by any means, including
using staff as proxy, is important, providing responses in real-time is not.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:so in short, sunday is good, even if we have to ask
someone in singapore at the venue on sunday to do the working group the
courtesy of attending and collecting the comments and questions.
  Andrew Mack:I think this is right Eric, as we're in the listening and sharing
mode
  Gisella Gruber-White:All loaded
  Gisella Gruber-White:in Note section
  Eric Brunner-Williams:to follow-up on elaine's point of listing consensus
positions in mr2, informing the special call and face to face participants what
issues the jas is agreed to work on "next" would be useful
  elaine pruis:good point eric.  seems to me on the mailing list there was not
much support for pursuing the breakdown in costs
  elaine pruis:as a lowered fee was the preferred option
  Eric Brunner-Williams:and in addition to the meetings with board and gac on
issues in abstract, the access to icann policy staff (new gtld program and
legal) is an opportunity for clarification of implementation issues, some of
which rise to the level of issues-in-the-abstract
  Andrew Mack:welcome back Avri
  Eric Brunner-Williams:so i suggest that those who are traveling to singapore
request meeting time with policy staff, for implementation questions and
answers, in addtion to meeting with the board and gac on general policy issues
  elaine pruis:rafik, would you ask the people on the working group for a show
of hands on support for further pursing the cost breakdown
  avri:might be worth acknowledging the previous documentation and include an
explanation
  Evan Leibovitch:@ avri... sure
  elaine pruis:@avri +1
  Evan Leibovitch:Avri: Couold you and I go offline to work on appropriate
wording to do this?
  avri:@evan - go off line now or later?  i should have time later.
  Evan Leibovitch:@ sebastien: consider also the GAC position on fee
reductions. If the Board rejects cost reductions it risks a war with the GAC,
Indeed, the JAS position is a halfway point between the GAC position and the
status quo
  Evan Leibovitch:diversion from what?
  Andrew Mack:+1 Alan
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i would prefer a significant fee reduction, even in the
absence of new information on the structure of the fee
  Evan Leibovitch:@eric... that is what the GAC is asking for as well
  Evan Leibovitch:The intent is to try to reconcile this from a mandated
requirement for "cost recovery"
  Alex Gakuru:+1 Fee Reduction
  Andrew Mack:agree with Evan's comment
  Evan Leibovitch:Alan: do you have some specific wording to add/modify to the
doc to address what you said. That would be helpful
  Andrew Mack:so we're agreed?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:a communication to the effect that we've discovered a
transparency and accountability issue in the opaqueness of the cost and the
means to address cost-recovery and the elevated level of applicant evaluation
that qualification for "needs-qualified" support entails is appropriate.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:with follow-up to the possibly dead-letter box that all
T&A communications are addressed
  rafik:@ebw you can participate with evna, avr, alan about that
  avri:can the letter be put in the wiki so we can wordsmith?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i don't want to overlook the sense of sebastian's
comment, while it is disapointing to hear an individual speculate that the
board will not approve cost reductions, the affirmative sense of his comment is
that more time can be spent on the alternate of raising money
  Eric Brunner-Williams:this (the issues that have to be resolved before
"money" can be collected for applicants) can be on the agenda of a subsequent
call.
  Andrew Mack:need to go.  thanks everyone
  Alex Gakuru:Apologies for next week's calls - I shall be away on travel.
Thank you.
  Alex Gakuru:bye all
  Eric Brunner-Williams:good use of call time. thank you co chair and all!
  Dave Kissoondoyal:thanks all and bye