ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Criteria

  • To: <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Criteria
  • From: <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:48:19 +0100

Dear all,

Following our discussion (e-mail exchange, yesterday call) about the
financial need criteria, I would like to highlight the following points:

.         Once again, the definition of the criteria is one of our main
missions, clearly stated in the charter, and also clearly requested by the
Board after we issued the first milestone report.

.         I don't think that the WG worked enough to find acceptable and
workable criteria.

.         If the WG thinks that we are unable to define them, it's our duty
to look for who can help us to do. I proposed to write officially to the
World Bank, IDRC, and other potential donors/funders where we can find
experts in the matter. We may even try with private experts, and ask ICANN
to cover their remuneration. It's very urgent to take real actions in that
direction if we want to have the work done on time.

.         Alan says that the objective criteria can be gamed. He is
absolutely right. What can't be gamed??? Nothing. There is always a risk.
But is it less risky to go on an evaluation with no objective elements,
letting the evaluators decide on their assessments and their feelings?

.         He also says that the objective criteria will reject applicants
who may be needy. That's also right. Any evaluation will do, should it be
based on objective or subjective criteria. Since all new gTLD applicants
asking for support can't be all supported, there will be rejection. Is it
better to reject people on a personal feeling and/or assessment, rather than
on objective elements that give all applicants the same chance?

.         If I follow Alan's rational, it would be better to remove all lows
and rules, and use instead subjective evaluation. For example, the judge
will not use the lows and the rules anymore to decide to punish (or not) the
criminals. He will only decide based on his personal assessment of the crime
and circumstances. The proposal of using subjective evaluation together with
objective criteria matches with what the judges do now. They have as
reference the articles of the low, and they decide using their personal
(subjective) evaluation.

.         If I strongly advocate for the use of objective criteria, together
with the subjective evaluation, it's because I'm really afraid it will not
be fair, and the needy applicants from developing countries can be excluded
from the process because of complaisance and other subjective things.

.         The idea of having the combination of objective and subjective
evaluations got a lot of support among the working group members. Another
idea got also support consisting in an evaluation panel of volunteers
assisted with professional experts.

.         If the applicant support program will lead to support applicants
mainly from rich countries, it will be a big failure of our working group
because the new gTLD program will not be inclusive, and will be a program of
rich people for the benefit of rich regions.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231