ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Choice of platform and eligibility determination

  • To: "<ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Choice of platform and eligibility determination
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 16:50:30 +0000

Eric

On 9 Aug 2011, at 15:36, <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> For this reason if an applicant selects the apparent terms and conditions
> of "[Verisign,] Neustar, Affilias or someone else", and the latent benefit
> of the market power, as a registry operator, or registrar, determining the
> eligibility of the applicant is problematic.

Why?

The choice of the backend is only one part of the overall scheme of organizing
an application, getting the application approved etc etc etc

It shouldn't be the only indicator and I'd hope that nobody was assuming that
it was

> Implementing Recommendation 20 does not require us to provide support only
> through incumbents, though some of the "in kinds" form of support has that
> origin. Nor does implementing Recommendation 20 require us to provide support
> through incumbents. Given the degree of difficulty in distinguishing between
> the eligibility of "the applicant" and the eligibility of "the applicant and
> the unqualified investor-operator", it is fortunate that we are able to
> recomment implementing Recommendation 20 independently from unqualified
> third parties.

Sorry, but that last paragraph confused me.

What do you mean?

I understand that you are not required to do anything, but I'm concerned that
the wording would preclude someone from going down that route (regardless of
how they fund it or how they were being charged for it)
So, for example, if I was going to launch .carlow (totally pointless by the
way) I could opt to get Afilias to handle the registry backend for us .. if I
can persuade them to give me their services at a price I can barely afford, but
somehow manage to do it, why would I be denied the right to get support from
JAS?

Or am I missing something?

Regards

Michele