ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Meeting Notes 23 August 2011

  • To: "<SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx> (SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx)" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Meeting Notes 23 August 2011
  • From: Wendy Profit <wendy.profit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:11:49 -0700

JAS WG Meeting Notes
Today we are going to look at the Support Application Review Panel. New acronym
SARP, beginning on page 29 of the most recent draft and also in the adobe
connect room.  SOIs should be into the staff and the chairs. One small note
before I go to Alan we neglected to give some recognition to Dev and Maxine(?)
Who originally looked at the workflow last week.  Dev looked at it and made
changes for us from the start and thank him for his support. Alan has his hand
up.
Like to review the timetable, I know discussion on GNSO council list, this is
our second to last meeting if schedule has changed I'd like to know.
We can telescope the funds and foundation FAQ into the meeting and we go for
Friday and we go to next Tuesday to do the final review and approval.  We will
look at the GNSO processes.
If we can have extra dates and to delay the deadline. There is no option in
Wednesday it means we have a few days in September so we can work on the report
but I can't guarantee that now so tomorrow if ...discussion on the GNSO council
I can update that matter.  If there's a change I will update the wg asap.
Focus on the text where the beginning paragraph 74 of the current draft report
on page 29, on the land ing page of the wiki.  If you can't find it you will
see the information that we're going to talk about in the notes window of the
adobe connect. Any comment on 74 here?  Happy with the use of terminology or do
we need to be more specific?
My comments didn't make it, seemed a bit to vague, we need to maintain the same
tone and level of precision.  In terms of the right source.
We do need the right mix 75 starts talking about what the right mix is.
Discussion between alan and I  about volunteers and staff after listening to
alan's issue propose a middle ground don't know what that is. Needs to have a
fair degree of experts.  Normal external evaluation panel set up completely by
the staff with no say from the community.  Between staff and dispute resolution
model.  We don't want that model, the AOC may not be appropriate. Something
hybrid, volunteers of community wide distribution and right skill set.  ICANN
gaming experts have to come from the community.  Funding models such as that
need to be done externally under supervision of this panel by staff.  Right
sort of people, right sort of panel.
To clarify what avri said, should it be volunteer or staff, no one said it
should be staff
Staff created the resolution panel
Don't want staff on this panel.  Relying primarily on community is fraught with
problems because of time commitment issues.  People have jobs, get sick, have
personal lives, may we be large we don't know how many applications this will
be. Avery time consuming job, worry about the AOC model equal representation
form the community, not sure one from each constituency is the right way. Look
at something from the community. Far from optimal in my mind.
The subject of these non volunteer non community being paid has not been
addressed yet.
We'd have to expand the paragraph with some of the things, but the issue of the
balancing of the panel and its required expertise, who pays for that.
While I fully support Avri, I understand alan's issue, we don't have any other
choice, staff or community. Experts must be paid. The idea is to have a panel
composed of volunteers from the community. If they don't have the willing they
don't work, second the competence, can't put people who don't understand the
question on the panel and third the ability.  The panel will be assisted by
experts, can be engaged by ICANN staff but the panel is the decision.  Second
point paragraph 75, panel will decide on the fee reduction, should decide on
the eligibility of any kind of support all should pass through this panel.
---
Agree that staff is there to help them and there was a paragraph there that
said where the funds would come to and obviously we'd have to pay non
volunteers.
Agree we want this to be as much as possible community driven.  Concerned that
we'll be able to maintain the level of volunteer activity. Don't want it to be
dominated by ... volunteers suffer from burn out, if we pay them something for
their time so they could devote more and have constant focus. And continuity.
Not fair to ask a volunteer to serve for a year on this, I think it's a lot to
do.  Take into account people have real lives.
Useful to compensate some volunteers and that you should include directly in
the panel some outside experts as opposed to Tijani's that experts are advisors
to the panel and not in the panel itself.
Whether we compensate volunteers I don't know. It's difficult to get people to
participate if no one is compensated. Take this group.  We'll get a narrow
group and people may not be able to stay with it. As far as including experts
as part of the vote, depends on the composition.  If we have enough volunteers
with diversity.  We do want experts at the table, the mechanism I'm open to.
We're at the point where we're suggesting the test be augmented.
[chat]

avri: you have to pay non volunteers otherwise they are volunteers.  in one of
my original proposal, i recommended that the funding tfor the SARP be another
expense against the projected reserve + risk revenues to be pulled in by the
applications.
avri: actually how it is paid in in 76.  forgot what was written
avri: Andrew: I am not arguing for pure volunteer, but has accepted the hybrid
model and am arguing for  it.  And asking a tremendous amount from volunteers
is what ICANN is all about.
avri: I am TOTALLY against paying volunteers.
avri: I consider service in ICANN similar to service in volunteer fire
departments,  it is a second job you dedicate yourself to.
Robert Hoggarth: this is very helpful discussion -- do you also need to discuss
timelines in which work is to be done (i.e., how long an evaluation is expected
to take; accountability of "volunteers" (i.e., minimal time commitments) and
how potential conflicts of interest may be handled (i.e., potential conflicts
for competitors and supporters).
Evan Leibovitch: My preference: one-third ALAC appointed, one-third GNSO
appointed, one third staff-contracted experts.
Alan Greenberg: I also have some concern regarding volunteers having a
difficult time potentially saying no to their peers....
Evan Leibovitch: And giving volunteers an honorarium and covering expenses does
not compromise volunteer status
Alan Greenberg: @Evan, no GAC??
Evan Leibovitch: Over allocation of the fund --  not sure the GAC needs a role
avri: how about .25 atlarge, .25 gnso, .25 other AC/SO, .25 experts members +
specialized advisers.
Evan Leibovitch: @ avri: that works too
avri: sp i am differentiating between experts who are full voting members, and
the ad hoc experts who only adviuse.
avri: ... between outside experts ....  -> must not assume that many volunteers
are indeed not also experts
If we could think about the exact text we need to change the statement it would
be helpful to Rob and people who have the pen.
Kurt: I agree it should be independent of staff.  I would urge that we use
volunteers as much as possible as a possible solution look at the RSEP model
where there's 25-30 panel members on standby in groups of 5 where the work is
spread out, in this case it could be spread out by region because you want
people from the regions to be involved.  If we have a short term window and we
could spread the work around.
Kurt is suggesting a pool of panelists that you may rotate where they come from
based on what has been decided that may be a good way to look at it well it
makes sense to me.
avri: using the RSEP model of a pool is a good idea.
I stick with the proposal of volunteers they did a wonderful job in a timely
manner I don't know why we are so afraid of this point
avri: all members of the panel need to be engaged on judging every application.

Evan Leibovitch: Having a large pool makes sense, but (based on my experience
within ICANN) may not be practical without paying panel members

avri: avri correction ... need not be engaged ...
the panel is going to be influenced by virtue of what is around them.
Compensation I was ....this panel would need to meet face to face and expenses
would be incurred from serving on the panel, not compensating for time but
meeting expenses covered in set 6 that avri raised. It's always about how much
time is available, just compensating them for time is not going to make them
available.
I'm ok with a large panel, good idea, but each member must commit to be
available at any time.
We have a sense of what is griping this group we need a better definition of
the panelist text augmented with guidance as to how this panel would operate.
And some text to recommend a set of criteria for the panel.
Clearly the make up is not staff not primarily volunteers but some sort of
combination of staff volunteers and experts, Evan's 3rd 3rd 3rd,some percentage
25%.
Evan said 1/3 GNSO 1/3 staff contracted experts included in panel.  Avri said ¼
alac ¼ gnso ¼ other rssac for example would be key I think that's where AND
experts from outside but not part of the panel.
Correction differentiating 2 kinds of experts ¼ could be staff contracted
outside experts members of the panel voting members in evan's and andrew's,
also otherwise special experts who would not be part of the panel, if the panel
says oops we need an expert on economics in Botswana, that is the kind of
flexibility I was thinking . where you'd have an expert on economics in the
panel you may need occasional outside experts with a specialty.
So what we have to do is look at your proposal.
Agreed re: staff management + admin,  second group more ad hoc consultants, I
think we're all on the same page now.
avri: using the RSEP model of a pool is a good idea.

avri: all members of the panel need to be engaged on judging every application.

Evan Leibovitch: Having a large pool makes sense, but (based on my experience
within ICANN) may not be practical without paying panel members
avri: avri correction ... need not be engaged ...
Evan Leibovitch: +1 what avri is saying about "ad hoc" experts in addition to
the standing experts in the panel
Andrew Mack: two kinds of experts -- panelists plus specialized consultants
based on very specific needs.  right?  if so, I agree 100%

In the current draft paragraph 79-80, this is the sense of that if somebody
gets granted some support then depending on how successful they are the
expectation is that they would pay it back into the fund.
We discussed at length people paying back to the fund, if you've gotten a grant
to get equipment then you're able to pay that back into the fund, or pay it
forward you have an obligation.  Don't know about those that got fee
reductions, part of me says yes that should be included in the payback model
but I don't know if we've ever discussed it.
Concerned about this in terms of our position on fee reduction, does it
undermine our argument on fee reduction, we are arguing that some of these fees
should apply to these people/regions, we objectify our broader argument. It may
be read that way.
Disagree I don't think it undermines, if you become a financial success and
whatever our reasons why these shouldn't apply, but if they get rich and they
retroactivley put money in the pot for people who can't apply.  Only if they
become very rich by it.
I would say they have an obligation.
I would not connect one to the other. If anyone becomes successful should have
a payback but not connected as fee reduction payback.
Evan Leibovitch: If fee reduction is not being paid for by the fund "paying it
back" into the fund is problematic

Carlton Samuels: @Andrew: rebate on fee reduction might be misconstrued unless
we make the case it is if they are successful!
avri: Andrew I can accept such a wording
Carlton Samuels: @Andrew:  Make it if you are successful, then give something
back, this I can agree
Evan Leibovitch: "fee reduction" repayment should go directly to ICANN. Fund
repayment goes to the fund. IMO
avri: well if the reserve + risk has been paid back from auction does not make
sense to also have it paid back from the fundee.  i think it should go into the
fund for the future.
Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Off to ALAC call.
Carlton Samuels: @Evan: I can support your pay into place!
Reimbursing may be appropriate, not paying back.  Discount becomes an all or
nothing thing we can't say we're giving you this discount because that's all
you need.  We can expect where they get no other support other than the
discount which covers more than their needs therefore, (or more than they need)
so the concept of putting something back into it is very reasonable, it may not
be repay, need another word for it, it's problematic if there's no obligation.
Concept is that if you're successful you should put something back in the fund,
should be clear about success and giving something back to the community into
the text.

Wendy Profit
Executive Assistant to Kurt Pritz
ICANN