ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript JAS WG Webinar #1

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat Transcript JAS WG Webinar #1
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:17:24 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 11:15 AM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Karla Valente:Welcome to the JAS WG webinar. All mics will be on mute, except
speakers. The Q&A will take place at the end.
  Antonio Medina:Hello good morning
  Carlton Samuels:hi Everyone
  Jeff Neuman:hello all.  I am just logged into Adobe and can hear audio great.
 Although Avri sounds verysoft
  avri:Avri is a very softspoken individual, but I have been assured she will
try to speak up when she is speaking,
  Jeff Neuman:lol
  CLO:;-)
  Alan Greenberg:Jeff, if you are only on adobe and not on the telephone, I
don't think you will be able to ask questions. Unless that feature has been
enabled.
  Jeff Neuman:I may join the phone line in a little bit to do that, but for now
multi-tasking by getting kids ready for school :)
  Mike Silber:Jeff - don't admit to having a life!
  Alan Greenberg:Mike, some of us are actually proud that we can manage just a
bit of real life.
  Webinar Request:Now recording
  Mike Silber:"real life" Alan - what is that?
  CLO:Good  Question Mike
  Alan Greenberg:Has to do with humans and animals that can't spell ICANN
  Alan Greenberg:Or to whome it is a dirty word.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Please remember to speak SLOWLY for interpreters
  Keith Drazek:Is someone talking on mute? I can't hear anything.
  Rafik:my line is muted
  Gisella Gruber-White:*6 to mute and *7 to unmute
  Gisella Gruber-White:Keith - are you able to hear now?
  Keith Drazek:yes, thanks!
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: YES, you're right!!
  Carlton Samuels:At-Large resolved at Mexico City and even then this was not
an original issue!
  Carlton Samuels:FWIW, Evan Leibovitch carried the cause in Mexico City on
request!
  Karla Valente:you are welcome!
  Karla Valente:Service in the Public Interest  AND Demonstrated Financial
Capabilities and Needa)      Support by and/or for distinct cultural,
linguistic or ethnic communities; b)   Service in an under-served language, the
presence of which on the Internet has been limited;a)  Operation in a
developing economy in a manner that provides genuine local social benefit;b)
 Advocated by non-profit, civil society and non-governmental organizations in a
manner consistent with the organizations’ social service mission(s); andc)
 Operation by a local entrepreneur(s), providing demonstrable social benefit in
those geographic areas where market constraints make normal business operations
more difficult.
  Jeff Neuman:So if the $2M does not go towards the fee reductions, how will
the evaluators get paid.....or is it assumed that the $47k is enough to pay for
all the evaluations?
  Jeff Neuman:Where did the $47k come from?  I know the GAC said it at one
point, but I cant find their rationale other than it is about 1/4 of the $185k
fee.
  avri:Jeff there is an explanation of both where the figure comes from and the
method of paying for the evaluation in the report. around page 13.
  avri:Basicall, though, one uses funds intend for the reserve fund and the
risk fund, and suggests that this funds can then be fiulled in by the auctions.
  Olga Cavalli:hi Avri sounds very low
  Jeff Neuman:I just rechecked the report.  The report seems to be justifying
why $47k may work, but does not say where that number came from in the first
place.
  Alan Greenberg:Jeff, I don't think there was a formal analytical approach to
deciding that 185k was to much but $47k was ok. It was a number than a large
number of parties "felt" was in the rght target area (or at least, that is my
understanding to how the number came about).
  Jeff Neuman:I amnot debating whether that may work or not, I just want to
know what rationale was used to get to that number
  Alex Gakuru:Hi Jeff, Alan explained it in the context of ALAC/GAC
recommendations
  Jeff Neuman:Right, I understand and remember hearing the GAC say the number,
the ALAC support it, but never saw any rationale for it.   I just want to make
sure that if the $2M does not go towards that, to make sure that the costs are
paid.  If there are voluntary contributions to the fund in addition, that may
solve it, but if not, the money has to come from somewhere.
  Jeff Neuman:(unless of course the evalutors agree to cut their costs for
those apps as part of an in-kind donation)
  Alan Greenberg:Jeff, I can address that, perhaps better offline. There are a
few different aproaches that have been put forward. Mine is that the fees from
full applicant that are destined for repaying sunk costs ($25k each) be set
aside to cover the fee reductions. If there are auction proceeds, that money be
repayed from proceeds. If not, then ICANN deferrs the return to reserve.  With
regard to evaluators, we are suggesting largely volunteer, other than some paid
experts. The paid experts would need to be paid from the $2m (I guess).
  Jeff Neuman:Alan, you point out the other type of evaluators.  There are the
evaluators for the financial support, then there are the new gTLD evaluators of
each of the applications.  I think volunteers can play a role in evaluating
financial support, but I agree that there will need to be some paid experts as
well.
  Keith Drazek:I think the JAS-WG was spot on in identifying the need for
financial capabililty in it's eligibility requirements.
  Jeff Neuman:Does the JAS-WG envision all of this is completed prior to
January 12th or can it run in parallel for a little bit just so it ends prior
to the new gTLD application window closes to give time to succesful financial
applicants to get their applications in prior to April 12th
  Jeff Neuman:(i hope that question made sense)
  Jeff Neuman:no
  Jeff Neuman:Sorry
  Jeff Neuman:Can you read them
  Alan Greenberg:Jeff, there are differing views on this and it would partly
depend on the details of the implenetation plan. I am putting my money on
overlap, but completion well before the end of the applications process.
  Jeff Neuman:Can you ask this one:  Does the JAS-WG envision all of this is
completed prior to January 12th or can it run in parallel for a little bit just
so it ends prior to the new gTLD application window closes to give time to
succesful financial applicants to get their applications in prior to April 12th
  CLO:Reading any questions  from chat is best chat   for the recrding(s)
  Gisella Gruber-White:The ENGLISH lines are now open for questions
  Jeff Neuman:Agreed....earlier the better so that the applicants know well in
advance they are getting support before getting their applications in.
  Jeff Neuman:Thanks Avri, Alan, Carlton and Rafik - And thanks to the JAS
group for all your hard work!
  Alan Greenberg:Before we leave, can we have a count of those on the other two
channels?
  Gisella Gruber-White:Spanish Channel: 1 participant: Antonion Medina Gomez
  Gisella Gruber-White:French Channel: 2 participants: Michel Tchonang
(disconnected currently) and Mme Guerfali who just disconnected as well
  Carlton Samuels:Thanks to all of you for making this show possible.  Profound
gratitude to Alan and Avri for showing up for work here today and as usual,
every day we call on them.  My thanks to the Staff memebrs who've worked so
hard and diligently thoughout this process - Karla, Glen, Gisella, Wendy, Rob,
Seth, !
  CLO:perfet  timing team...
  Keith Drazek:Thanks to the JAS-WG!
  Olga Cavalli:thanks everyone specially to the group for such a hard and good
work!
  Sebastien:Thanks all
  avri:thank you all.
  CLO:Thanks all  bye