ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat transcript Webinar #2

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat transcript Webinar #2
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:24:54 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 4:19 PM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Karla Valente:Welcome to the JAS WG webinar. All mics will be on mute, except
speakers. The Q&A will take place at the end.
  Evan Leibovitch:I can hear everyone fine using the AC audio. I may not even
need to dial in.
  Alan Greenberg:Unless you want to ask questions.
  Evan Leibovitch:I don't expect to have any by now ;-)
  Evan Leibovitch:Avr's voice is VERY faint on the AC,
  Evan Leibovitch:THAT was better :-)
  Evan Leibovitch:More Avri-ike.
  Evan Leibovitch:There is more than one person here with Adobephobia.
  sergio salinas porto:hi everiyone!
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:hello everybody, is Sylvia Herlein from Brazil here
  Alan Greenberg:Hi Sylvia
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hello, everyone!
  Evan Leibovitch:When Cheryl says "all my beasts" that could also refer to
some ALAC people
  Evan Leibovitch:Hi Mike
  Evan Leibovitch:and everyone else...
  Evan Leibovitch:recorded AND interpreted!
  Webinar Request:Recording in Adobe has now started
  Alan Greenberg:I dropped off back in a moment
  Evan Leibovitch:The French and Spanish translations are available at
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+JAS+WG+Final+Report+Workspace
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:good to hear that the JAS report is available in
multiple languages so quickly
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:indeed
  Alan Greenberg:Attendance list is overlapping ppt on my screen
  CLO:Yes  Dev  THANKS  to our ICANN Support staff  for that :-)
  CLO:NOT the overlap screen
  CLO:thought only a host can have changed the pod size ;-)
  Alan Greenberg:Correct. I am a presenter only, so can't fix
  Alan Greenberg:Thx
  Webinar Request::)
  Rafik:sorry for mistake :)
  Karla Valente:no worries. all was good.
  Karla Valente:alan sounds tired too... it has been a long day....
  CLO:although  he is running  his talk at a great speed for interpretation  so
all good  from that POV ;-)
  Karla Valente:I agree.... and the messaging is great.
  CLO:yes excellent :-)
  Thomas Lowenhaupt:can't see slide
  CLO:hmmm  @thomas  it's  fine for me  does any one else have an issue?
  Karla Valente:@thomas. what slide you cannot see? can you refresh your
browser?
  Thomas Lowenhaupt 2:ok now
  Karla Valente:@Thomas - good.
  CLO::-)
  Karla Valente:If you have any questions for the speakers, Q&A will be at the
end. You can also write your questions into the chat.
  Evan Leibovitch:Avri, you're fine
  Scott Pinzon:Avri, sounding good so far!
  CLO:fading Avri  speak up again please
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:If a foundation  must be established,in order to receive
assistance,  how can the applicants possibly meet the initial application
deadlines?
  Scott Pinzon:Volume has dropped markedly.
  Scott Pinzon:Avri, are you speaking right into your microphone?
  Joly MacFie:Anne, the foundation is to support applicants - not by them.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:The sound is better on the 800 number.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Right but it takes a while to get 501(c)3 certification.
If they can't give out financial support until they are certified, no applicant
can make the deadline.
  Joly MacFie:The support is ongoing beyond the application.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Who makes the decision about funding support before the
foundation is formed?
  Sebastien:@ Anne: It can be quicker in other countries and it is maybe not
mandatory to set it up before. ICANN can play this role before the new
organization is ready to operate (if created).
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Do you mean the ICANN Board of Directors would have to
approve each applicant requesting support?
  Evan Leibovitch:@ Anne: even if there is no foundation or the NPO is not yet
formed, qualified applicants could get the fee reduction (which might be enough
for at least some applicants to overcome their worst obstacles)
  Sebastien:@ Anne No the group in charge can be form to do that
  CLO:@Anne  *IF* a foudation was to be created (as our report proposes it
should be)  it would be done in parralell with the application approvals
process and as you can see is focussed on 'filling in / facilitation of
possible challenges  that the WG sees  a Supported Applicant may be challenged
with
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:What incentive does a third party have to offer gTLD
application assistance to an organization seeking Applicant Support?
  Evan Leibovitch:That's up to them. Many have already stepped forward.
  Rafik:@anne for example a lawyer can do some pro-bono and provide legal
assistance
  Evan Leibovitch:What incentive does anyone have to help those with obstacles
in any context?
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:ICANN could use some of the $2MM to pay qualified
registrars to assist qualified applicants with the application process.
  Evan Leibovitch:why would registrars be uniquely qualified to provide such
assustance?  The fund could be used to provide assistance, but there are many
paths to that goal.
  Joly MacFie:Qualified registrars might be good candidates to offer some pro
bono.
  Evan Leibovitch:Or consultants. Or registry service providers. Or a self-help
centre could be established.
  Joly MacFie:What will be the window for the SEP to happen?
  Scott Pinzon:Self-help centre would be extremely challenging to accomplish in
multiple languages.
  Scott Pinzon:Idea is fine; it's timing I worry about.
  Evan Leibovitch:True. But there are many out there with a capacity to help.
There is already talk of some applicants working together without needing to
form a formal 'centre', so to speak.
  Evan Leibovitch:Also the possibility of producing a kit/guide/templates for
support candidates that could be used by multiple applicants
  Scott Pinzon:I see. Informally, people could help candidates get pretty far,
simply with a LInkedIn group (for example).
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:tks, very clear!
  Joly MacFie:What will be the window for the SEP to happen? By date?
  Scott Pinzon:Does the report suggest how long a support candidate's
evaluation is expected to take? (After everything is set up). Weeks? Months?
  richard tindal:Im getting R2D2 noise on the line
  Alan Greenberg:Most amazing sounds on the line
  richard tindal:its stopped
  Evan Leibovitch:R2D2 was one of the drafting team
  CLO:it was a computer  with the speakers on they have now muted
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:no, tks
  Jose Francisco Arce:No, thanks
  CLO:We can also  take questions  vis the wiki pages as well now that the
translations of the report are now out...
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:ok, tks. We are gonig to aks Lacralo region if they have
any Q and send to you soon.
  richard tindal:THANKS
  Evan Leibovitch:bye
  Rafik:bye
  CLO:Thanks  All   THANKS  ALAN  & AVRI
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Unfortunately the URL doesn't work :
https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/JAS+Issues+and+Recommendations
  Jose Francisco Arce:Bye
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:tks t the Spanish transtor, great job
  Sylvia Herlein Leite:bye
  CLO:ERGH   Dev   we will ensure the URL is sorted  KARLA  can you do that AI?
 OR tell us who will? and the promulgate the correction   etc.,?
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Or if URL is published already, add the appropriate
page to the wiki
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:I think the correct URL is
https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/SO-AC+New+gTLD+Applicant+Support+Working+Group+%28JAS-WG%29
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:or https://community.icann.org/x/jQWB
  CLO:Yes  dev  I agree
  CLO:that needs to be fixed in the  PPT  etc., though
  CLO:OK  bye  for now then...
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:ok, bye