ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] updated ASP docs

  • To: At-Large GTLD WG List <gtld-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] updated ASP docs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 21:46:48 -0500

Hi

One things that came out of todays meeting with the Board sub-group, Staff and
the JAS subgroup was that the Financial Handbook had been updated. I had not
noticed that when they updated the AGP, they also updated these documents.  It
occurs to me that perhaps others had not noticed either.

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/candidate-support

specifically

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/candidate-support/financial-assistance-handbook-11jan12-en.pdf
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/candidate-support/financial-assistance-handbook-redline-11jan12-en.pdf

A quick reading indicates that many of the issue we brought up in our comments
have been amended in this version, including:

- Non qualifying applicants no longer lose their full 47KUSD only the 5KUSD
registrations fee "unless the SARP reasonably believes there was willful
gaming."
- They have added staggered fee payment schedule for qualified applicants for
whom there aren't sufficient grant funds
- They added language that corresponded to the original JAS language on
trademarks, i.e. no support for .brand but  "(However, applications for names
of communities or trademarked brand.non-governmental agencies are not
necessarily disqualified from receiving support if they have obtained legal
trademark protection.)"
- added language to social benefit including: "including support for distinct
cultural, linguistic or ethnic communities, as well as communities with a
defined social need"

I am sure a more careful reading will show various other changes, but I think
these are the major changes.

One other important thing that came out of the meeting was the commitment to
continue working with the JAS Sub-group in any discussion of criteria
refinement and in the preparation of materials for training the SARP.  Further
meetings are planned to discuss other issues involved in implementation of the
program.

That is about it for now.  I invite the other members of the JAS sub-group to
add anything I missed.

avri