[ssac-gnso-irdwg] ACTIONS/DISCUSSION POINTS: Kick-Off Meeting 24 Nov 2009
- To: "ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] ACTIONS/DISCUSSION POINTS: Kick-Off Meeting 24 Nov 2009
- From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:15:31 -0800
Dear IRD-WG members,
Below are the action items and main discussion points from the kick-off meeting
of the IRD-WG. These also are on the wiki at:
For those who had problems joining the call, please note that we have
notified the vendor and they assured us these problems would not reoccur.
Thank you very much to all of those members who participated in the meeting.
We also want to thank Edmun Chung for agreeing to be the IRD-WG Co-Chair for
the GNSO. We urge SSAC members of the WG to indicate whether they are
interested in being a Co-Chair. Please note also that there is ICANN staff
support for these positions.
The WG decided to meet bi-weekly, which would place the next call during the
week of 7-11 December. The WG also agreed that 1400 UTC seemed to be a
suitable time for a meeting, but did not agree on the optimal day of the week.
Thus, the WG suggested that a Doodle poll (see below) should be conducted to
determine the date of the next meeting and also to guide the scheduling of
ACTION ITEMS (see additional details below):
1. PLEASE COMPLETE THIS DOODLE POLL NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS THURSDAY,
26 NOVEMBER: http://www.doodle.com/7hbh3uh4gynwe5ge.
2. SSAC WG members should indicate their interest in the Co-Chair position.
3. WG members should indicate on the list whether there are specific issues
that are not in the scope of this WG.
4. Dave Piscitello will provide a brief paper on research on alternative
schemes before the next meeting. See presentation at:
5. Steve Sheng will provide a brief description of related work on WHOIS
studies that relies on output from the IRD-WG before the next meeting.
Please let me know if you have any changes to the following action items or
summary of discussion points. Thank you very much.
Director, SSAC support
Kick-Off Meeting: Tuesday 24 November 2009 at 1400 UTC
Attendees: WG Members: Edmun Chung, Steve Crocker, Rafik Dammak, Avri Doria,
Bob Hutchinson, Yao Jiankang, Andrei Kolesnikov, Mark Kosters, Steve Metalitz,
June Seo; ICANN Staff: Francisco Arias, Glen de Saint- Géry, Liz Gasster,
Gisella Gruber-White, Julie Hedlund, and Dave Piscitello.
1. SSAC Co-Chair: ICANN Staff to engage SSAC members of the IRD-WG for Co-Chair
2. Meeting Schedule: Julie Hedlund to circulate Doodle seeking preferences
(DONE: See http://www.doodle.com/7hbh3uh4gynwe5ge.)
3. IRD-WG Scope, Goals, Mission: WG to discuss on list suggestions for
clarifying scope, goals, and mission with respect to technical specifications
and/or content. WG members should indicate on the list whether there are
specific issues that are not in the scope of this WG.
4. Research on Alternative Schemes: Dave Piscitello to produce short paper and
circulate prior to next meeting. Julie Hedlund to circulate webinar
5. Related Work: Steve Sheng to summarize related work on WHOIS studies that
relies on output from the IRD-WG.
Main Discussion Points:
1. Meeting Schedule: WG members in attendance agreed that 1400 UTC was a
suitable time, but noted that Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays could cause
conflicts with other meetings. The WG agreed on a bi-weekly schedule, at least
initially. Julie Hedlund urged the WG to settle on a recurring time and date
and agreed to circulate a Doodle poll to determine the optimal time and date in
the week of 7-11 December.
2. Co-Chairs: The Charter calls for co-chairs from the GNSO and SSAC, but does
not specify the number of co-chairs. The WG suggested two co-chairs and Edmun
Chung volunteered to be a co-chair from the GNSO, while noting that his
workload on other GNSO meetings could at times interfere with his Co-Chair
duties. He noted it would be very helpful to have a Co-Chair from SSAC as soon
as possible. ICANN staff agreed to assist.
3. WG Scope, Mission, and Goals:
Scope: Mark Kosters asked whether the WG would focus on the protocol to
facilitate the display of character sets and wondered how wide was the scope of
the WG. Dave Piscitello noted that there are two separate issues: 1) what to
collect and display; and 2) methods of delivery. Mark asked whether the WG
should design a mandatory schema for display or simply provide information on
the technology options to solve the issue. Dave noted that having a data schema
could be goal, or it could be an enumeration of data elements.
Impact on ccTLDs: June Seo asked about the impact on ccTLDs and Andrei
Kolesnikov noted that the WG should consider the practical experience of the
Parameters: Edmon Chung asked whether the WG should look at parameters and
other potential delivery protocols. Steve Crocker recommended a fresh start
approach looking at current requirements and future needs and, in particular,
handling various forms of tiered access. He added that the WG could design a
prototype or pull together the appropriate ideas. He also noted that the
transition problem is not trivial. Avri Doria endorsed that approach and added
that the WG should not focus only on existing tools, but also whether a new
tool needs to be developed.
Limitations to Scope: Steve Metalitz emphasized that determining the content
was not in the scope of the WG, but instead the WG should focus on the
feasibility of display specifications, types, and kinds of data.
Coordinate with IETF: Yao Jiankang asked whether the WG would publish its
findings with the IETF and Avri noted that while this is a possibility it would
depend on the outcome of the WG's study. She added that the WG does not need to
define the content, but instead the types of information that needs to be there.
ICANN Related Work: Steve Sheng noted that of the WHOIS studies the ICANN is
conducting one in particular is dependent on the WG's output and he agreed to
provide more information on this relationship.
Charter Clarification: Andrei recommended that the WG should clarify the
Charter's scope, mission, and goals with respect to the technical
specifications and/or content.
ICANN Staff Studies: Edmon noted that ICANN staff had conducted a study of
display standards and asked whether that information is available. Dave said
the information was provided in a webinar in September and at a workshop in
Seoul in October, but he also agreed to produce a short paper detailing the
research on alternative display standards and circulate it prior to the next
Further Defining Scope: Edmun emphasized that it would be very helpful for WG
members to indicate -- prior to the next meeting -- those issues that they
think are not in the scope of this WG.