ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] What do we require from IRD?, question (1a)

  • To: ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] What do we require from IRD?, question (1a)
  • From: Jay Daley <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:36:08 +1300

On 14/01/2010, at 3:36 AM, Dave Piscitello wrote:

> a- query the availability of a label in a given TLD
>  (e.g., is "example" available in "com"?)
> b- query a Whois web, command line, or application for the
>  registration information associated with a domain name

Some thoughts:
- There is no common standard for a) above.
- The only common standard for b) above is WHOIS.

So I would suggest we only look at WHOIS, with the understanding that there may
be different UIs to WHOIS - (command line, web, application).

> c- register a domain via a web form at a registrar's web site

I don't think we need to consider this at all because registrars/registries
will just do it.

> An application or automation would also submit in this manner
> (where permitted, certain of these submission methods may
> take measures to detect and only accept human input)
>
> By "display" I meant "render a visual response to a human on a computer or a
> machine-readable response to an application or automation", for all of (a-c)
> above.

I would suggest we narrow the scope to just WHOIS for the same reasons as above.

> I see value in offering users with the ability to "use" U-label or A-label
> as they choose. Users may most often prefer a U-label since this is more
> visually recognizable and familiar than "xn--<g1b63r1sh>" strings but I can
> imagine a user of a command line who might want to submit and display
> A-labels when using a command line, especially in situations where he is
> writing a script and the input or output of a whois command would be "piped"
> to/from another command (sed/awk/grep).

I would be very surprised if anyone in our industry thought any different from
you.  It think the domain name bit is the easiest bit to tackle and we should
finish it off quickly to move onto the more complicated parts.

Can we cut to the chase and start with some axioms?

1.  WHOIS must accept a "submit" in either U- or A-label.
2.  WHOIS must "display" both in U- and A-label.

> Did you have something different or broader in mind?

No.

cheers
Jay

--