ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] Technical issues of internationalization

  • To: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Technical issues of internationalization
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:16:48 -0800

Hi all, I thought of an question and want to raise it here.

Currently Whois terminal clients may use specific encodings (e.g. GB2312 for
simplified Chinese, Big5 for traditional Chinese, etc) instead of UTF-8 or
UTF-16. So what happens when a user submit a U-label domain name query in Big5
or GB2312? Should we expect the corresponding server to be able to interpret
it? How would the Whois server know what encoding the client's submission is in?

Warmly,
Steve