ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Follow up from yesterday's call (what would registration record look like

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, Andrei Kolesnikov <andrei@xxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Follow up from yesterday's call (what would registration record look like
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:44:16 -0700

When I am transliterating I am mapping from one script to another, either
word by word or character (dipthong) by character (dipthong). Thus spaketh
Wikipedia, thus it is so.

If true, then when you mapped Chocolate Factory from Latin script into
Cyrillic script, you associated "Ch" to "Sh", "o" to "o", etc. The purpose
was to be able to reverse map and get the same string irrespective of which
script you started from.

To accommodate multi-linguality (is this correct), you are saying that it's
best to correlate (A) and (B)

This seems less about sound than symbol/glyph except for the need to come up
with a way to deal with characters for which there is no 1:1 correspondence
but I think I now understand where I erred. Thanks for your patience.