ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] RE: Variants

  • To: "'Dave Piscitello'" <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Julie Hedlund'" <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Steve Sheng'" <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Greg Aaron'" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jiankang YAO'" <yaojk@xxxxxxxx>, "'Ram Mohan'" <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] RE: Variants
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:54:18 +0800

Hi Dave,

It may be an appropriate recommendation for 2nd (or 3rd) level registrations
as well.  Think the issue requires some further discussion though because I
am more familiar with CJK situations, but not other languages, so am not
sure if the same would appropriately apply to others.  From what I
understand for Arabic and Indic domains though, such an approach would
probably be appropriate too.  Am just saying that it may require further
deliberations.

Also, the views of ccTLDs would be important if we are to "recommend" such a
policy for all TLDs.

Edmon

The
> >> Chinese situation is similar, since the Chinese IDN label allowed
mixing of
> >> traditional and simplified scripts, the number of variants can easily
reach
> >> ten.
> >>
> >> For a given domain, CNNIC only put two types of variants into DNS, all
> >> traditional and all simplified and reserved the rest. If we use this
> >> approach,
> >> we could require WHOIS to display the variants that are available in
the DNS.

> >> This seems to solve the problem for display, but what about query? Can
a user
> >> query any of the variant for a Chinese domain, and get the simplified
and
> >> traditional variant back? Is that satisfactory?
> >>
> >> Coming back to the Indian language, would the above solution work? A
query of
> >> any of the variants for an Indian domain would return variants only in
the
> >> DNS
> >> table.
> >>
> >> Warmly,
> >> Steve
> >>

> >> On 6/24/10 12:22 PM, "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> A query for a reserved variant could return a result in WHOIS, perhaps
> >> listing
> >> the parent domain’s WHOIS data.
> >> However, if one looks up a parent, WHOIS output should not necessarily
return
> >> the parent’s data PLUS a listing of all active and/or reserved
variants.  (To
> >> do so could create an exceptionally long output, as per some of the
scenarios
> >> I mentioned below.)
> >>
> >> Some registries might handle variant activation and/or resolution
> >> differently.
> >> Which might be a perfectly reasonable and allowable implementation.
Worth
> >> checking out how practice might vary while being within RFCs and IDNA.
> >>
> >> All best,
> >> --Greg

Galvin
> >> (Afilias)'
> >> Subject: Re: Variants
> >>

> >> the current practice for cnnic is that we list the variants which are
put
> >> into
> >> dns.
> >>
> >> sometimes three variants, sometimes two variants.
> >>

> >> as far as I know, .AU will put all variants into dns. so the whois
should
> >> list
> >> all variants.

Chung'