ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Notes for IRD meeting

  • To: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Notes for IRD meeting
  • From: James M Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:53:03 -0400

I have a suggested editorial change for these notes. The first bullet under the discussion of variants reads as follows:

There is no uniform definition of variant. Different organizations or different countries define it differently. However in general, variants can be categorized as activated variants and reserved variants. Activated variants are variants of a domain name that are put in the DNS zone file, thus resolvable through normal DNS lookup. Reserved variants are variants reserved for a specific domain name and cannot be registered, but are otherwise not in the DNS zone file.

I would prefer that we not introduce a new term, specifically "registered", in this description. I think it's important we be precise about what we mean and if we do this we will need to define what we mean by "registered". I would suggest this paragraph should read as follows:

There is no uniform definition of variant. Different organizations and countries define it differently. However, in general, variants can be categorized as activated variants or reserved variants. Activated variants are variants of a domain name that are included in the DNS zone file and will resolve through normal DNS lookup. All other variants are reserved variants, which specifically are not included in the DNS zone file.

I believe the question of whether or not the name is "registered" is an implementation detail. It could mean that money has changed hands or it could be mean that the name is simply present in the registry database with a special status flag. Or it could mean something else entirely. I assert that if you expect a Whois response for a reserved name then it needs to appear in a registry database, which means it's registered, at least from a technical point of view.

We can set this issue aside by focusing on the detail we care about, which is whether or not the name appears in the DNS zone file.

Jim

-- On September 23, 2010 8:51:40 AM -0700 Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Notes for IRD meeting --

Dear IRD-WG,

 Attached please find the notes for the IRD meetings August 30 and
September 20, sorry for the delaying in sending it out. Let us know
if you have any questions.

Warmly,
Steve