ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft: Questions for ICANN IDN staff - Tina Dam - from the WhoIs IRD WG

  • To: "James M Galvin" <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dave Piscitello" <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, "Robert C. Hutchinson" <rchutch@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ird" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft: Questions for ICANN IDN staff - Tina Dam - from the WhoIs IRD WG
  • From: "Owen Smigelski" <Owen.Smigelski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:55:38 -0800

Someone who works at my office is from Quebec, and his last name has é as the
last character.  I just checked, and that does not appear on his California
driver’s license or his US social security card.  His paycheck was once
rejected because it contained the accent mark and his bank account did not.
It’s been many years since he applied for his government documents, so he is
not aware if they are prohibited, but he does recall there being issues of the
mixed ASCII characters.

As for Chinese characters, there are two ways of writing Chinese words:
Traditional and Simplified.  Both have the same exact meaning, it’s just that
Simplified is… easier (some characters have less strokes).  Simplified Chinese
was created by PRC, and is the official script there.  It is thus rejected by
Taiwan, where Traditional is the official script.  Hong Kong still uses
Traditional, but Simplified is gaining ground since it became part of the PRC.
Other Chinese speaking countries (Malaysia, Singapore) have adopted Simplified,
and Traditional remains used by Chinese speakers in other countries (e.g. US
and Europe).  Many Simplified and Traditional characters are the same, and it
is possible to see words that use a Simplified over a Traditional character,
but it would appear odd to a Chinese speaker.  When my company files
trademarks, it is either all Traditional or all Simplified characters.  As for
a person’s name, which is registered by a government authority, you will not
see mixed Traditional/Simplified.

Until recently Traditional characters were frowned upon in legal filings in PRC
(at least regarding trademarks and patents some characters were banned), but
the two states are working closer together now so they are relaxing these
restrictions (and some Simplified characters are now recognized/used in
Taiwan).

Here’s a good analogy for Simplified/Traditional:

SIMPLIFIED: By the King.

TRADITIONAL:

It would certainly appear odd to see the two different types of characters
mixed, which is why you do not see Simplified/Traditional Chinese mixed (except
where the character is the same in Simplified and Traditional).

Regards,

Owen

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender
by return email and delete this email and any attachments from your system.