ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] FW: Questions about translation / transliteration of international addresses

  • To: Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] FW: Questions about translation / transliteration of international addresses
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:35:41 -0800

Dear IRD-WG,

Through a SSAC contacts, staff have reached out to the google’s
internationalization team about accuracy and cost of translation vs
transliteration of addresses, their thoughts in general about the different
models. As you can imagine, Google does internationalization for all sorts of
applications and purposes. I have summarized her  comments and attached her
full email below.

 *   The first thing to consider is whether it make sense to translate or
transliterate. That depends on the usage of the address. In google, the
assumption is that if something is in a script that is unknown to the user, it
makes sense to show it in latin script as a suitable middle ground.

 *   For most cases, you probably don't want to translate an address at all. It
doesn't make much sense to change "Rue Arc-en-ciel" to "Rainbow Rd". The only
possibilities where this would be useful would be: a) for bilingual cities, but
even then respecting the language in which the user added it is probably a good
thing, or b) for cases where the script is hard to read for the user. But in
that case - transliteration may be sufficient, and a better idea than
translation. Or some combination of both of them - common words like "road"
translated, but the name only transliterated, even if it does mean something
like "flower".

 *   One way is to allow the user to enter the address in their language, [the
system] detect the script, and if it's not in Latin script already (note I say
Latin here, and not ASCII), then [the system can] transliterate and save a
(perhaps editable) Latin-script version too. (Perhaps allow the user to edit
that version - they might know better than auto-systems.)

 *   In terms of how to transliterate: ICU has transliteration tools freely
available (c++ and java), that you can use to auto-transliterate, based on CLDR
- http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/translit.

 *   Alternately Google Translate would do a combination of
translate/transliterate for you - if there is a common name for the street in
English then it would use that, otherwise it would transliterate to Latin
script.

 *   Regarding transliteration engines: Yes, there are a few different systems,
because of things like French people developing one that makes more sense for
them and English-speakers finding something else more intuitive, or Chinese
characters having multiple pronunciations, and these changing.
http://cldr.unicode.org/index/cldr-spec/transliteration-guidelines has some
examples of different systems, and the different outputs. The default that CLDR
uses is probably fine for most cases.

Warm regards,
Steve