ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 29 August: Actions/Notes

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 29 August: Actions/Notes
  • From: James M Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:51:54 -0400

Since I won't be available for this next call, it was also proposed at the end of this meeting that the agenda for the next meeting will be as follows.

0. Steve Sheng will produce a revised, redlined document by Tuesday, 6 September, so the working group has time to prepare for the next meeting. He will do his best to draft as much remaining text as he can based on the discussion we have had to date.

Agenda:

1. Review Steve Sheng's editorial requests as documented in the draft final report. Please be sure to review the final document and come prepared with suggestions it. Priority and preference will be given to suggested changes submitted to the mailing list in advance of the meeting.

2. If time permits, discuss any questions or suggestions on any of the text. Priority and preference will be given to questions and suggestions that are submitted to the mailing list in advance of the meeting.

3. We have the opportunity to be done and come to closure by 30 September. We should consider if we are on track to do this. We don't have to make a decision about this meeting but it would be helpful to do a realistic self-assessment.

If we can meet the 30 September deadline then we will have the opportunity to move towards declaring success and requesting formal actions in Dakar. Note that the next formal step for our work is to have it reviewed and accepted by both the GNSO and the SSAC, since they are the co-sponsoring SO/AC.

Thanks,

Jim

-- On August 29, 2011 9:10:44 AM -0700 Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 29 August: Actions/Notes --

Dear IRD-WG members,

Here are some brief notes from today’s meeting.  The full
transcript and recording also will be provided.    Our next call will
be Monday, 12 September at 1500 UTC/0800 PDT/1100 EDT.  The
teleconference details will be sent with the reminder.

Best regards,

Julie

Attendees:  Scott Austin; Avri Doria, Jim Galvin, Rafik Dammak, Bob
Hutchinson, Steve Metalitz, Owen Smigelski; Glen de Saint-Gery, Julie
Hedlund, Steve Sheng, Dave Piscitello

Actions:  Steve Sheng will revised the draft report based on the
discussion.  (See below.)  Also fill in text where possible.  Produce
a redlined document by Tuesday the 6th.

Notes

Recommendations (starting on page 15 of the document):

  • Develop a data model:  Aren’t some data elements already
specified?  There isn’t total agreement on the elements.  We may
not want to be overly prescriptive concerning what the baseline
should be, but the WG could propose something.  In the last sentence
change “tagging information” to “tagging elements”.  Like the
phrase “ICANN staff should develop, in consultation with the entire
ICANN community...”  (Add entire “ICANN” in the existing
sentence.)  Is the term “data model” confusing in the context of
this document?  Look through the document to make sure we are
consistent in how we use the term and define it when it is first used
in the document.  We have discussed using XML as a representation
language — should it be in this recommendation?  The choice of a
representation language would more properly belong to the IETF.  Not
sure the IETF should be involved in the formalization of the
representation language, but would be interested in the protocol
(versus the data).
  • Issues Report:  The GNSO Council requests an Issues Report
(should be clear in this document).  The SSAC also can request an
Issues Report, as can the ccNSO.  “The GNSO Council or the SSAC
should request an Issues Report...”  (See ICANN Bylaws at
http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm.)  May want to include
here some of the elements that should be included in an Issues
Report.  Although the WG should have given specific advice concerning
how to approach transliteration/translation requirements, but it did
not produce a consensus on how to proceed on these specification.
The question of who should provide transliteration/translation could
be a policy issue, which is why there is a recommendation for an
Issues Report.  Editorial note:  Make sure that the language in this
recommendation meets the requirements in the Bylaws and also check it
against the recommendations for changes to the PDP procedures from
the PPSC-PDP work team (Policy Staff Support -- Marika).
  • Identify a directory service: Need clarification.  Make it
clear that it is referencing a registration data directory service.
Draw an important distinction between the protocol and the service.
ICANN should define the service and separate it from the protocol
that is currently in use.  We have identified a deficiency that the
service definition doesn’t exist so we are saying that ICANN needs
to specify the service definition.  Change “work with ICANN and the
technical community” and “propose” not “identify” a
“registration data directory service.”  This is one piece of a
very large set of work at ICANN and in the community.  The
recommendation should say specifically that this is part of other
work.  Change the trailing phrase “meetings the needs...enumerated
in this report AND (add this) the WHOIS Service Requirements.
Include language that says that internationalization should be part
of that work.  Reference the Board’s specific request for this work.