ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report

  • To: Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:03:20 -0400
On 9 Sep 2011, at 02:13, Steve Sheng wrote:

> <IRD v1 redline version.doc>

I marked up a redline version.

Mostly editorials though on section 5 there are some comments that might be
procedural.

Also one possible substantive comment that occurred to me, apologies, while
reviewing the translation/transliteration definitions and noting that
transliterations were not really viable for logographic based writing systems.
I don't think we ever discussed ascii transcription, at least I do not remember
doing so.  I am not suggesting we do so at this point, and I think it would
have many of the same problems that transliterations has, and perhaps more -
ie. are there even tools for that?

so my questions are:

- for completeness sake should we define ascii transcription and mention that
we did not consider it.
- should it be included in the topics to be covered in the recommended issues
report.

Also I am pretty sure that ISO 8601-2004
http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=40874 is the right std for
dates.  ASN.1 seems to refer to the ISO spec.  As far as I can tell SMIv2
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2578) also uses the same notation.  But I am not
an expert on dates.

avri