ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] V3 of the Report

  • To: "'Steve Sheng'" <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] V3 of the Report
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:47:37 +0800

Hi Everyone,

Sorry this came so late.  Nevertheless, here are my suggestions:

a) Addition bullet point just before end of Section 3.1

- For IDN registrations, according to the IDN guidelines, additional data, such
as the IDN Language Tag, and information regarding IDN Variants may be required.

b) Addition to Section 3.4 before "ccTLD practices"

Some registries offering IDN registrations with IDN Variants will include
variant information in the WHOIS display for queries to the primary IDN (i.e.
registered domain name) as well as its IDN Variants.

c) Addition to Section 4.2 after first bullet (•   Domain name)

- IDN information (including e.g. IDN Language Tag and IDN Variant information)

d) Addition to Section 4.2

Domain names (RAA 3.3.1.1): The IRD-WG recommends that WHOIS services should
return both A-label and U-label representation for the given IDN domains
queried.

IRD-WG members noted that it is outside the scope of the IRD-WG to define
variants or discuss how different languages handle variants. Rather, the IRD-WG
focused on whether a domain is delegated into the DNS (i.e. whether an IDN
Variant is activated or simply reserved).  The IRD-WG members agree that a
Whois service query of IDNs delegated into the DNS (i.e. an activated variant)
should return the domain of which it is a variant for (i.e. registered IDN /
primary IDN) in its response, as well as an indication that the label queried
is a variant of the original domain. The IRD-WG members agree that this should
be consistent across Whois services. The IRD-WG members also agree that
defining a Whois service query of a reserved variant (i.e. domains reserved but
not delegated into the DNS) returns is a matter of local policy.

Talk to you all soon.

Edmon