ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssr-fy12]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Questions from RySG on FY 12 SSR Framework

  • To: "ssr-fy12@xxxxxxxxx" <ssr-fy12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Questions from RySG on FY 12 SSR Framework
  • From: Patrick Jones <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:23:19 -0700

Forwarded to comment forum per ok given by David Maher, Chair of the Registries
Stakeholder Group, to Craig Schwartz, Chief gTLD Registry Liaison.

--
Patrick

From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
Date: May 10, 2011 3:46:04 PM EDT
To: Craig Schwartz <craig.schwartz@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: cher <cherstubbs@xxxxxxx>, "CHUCK GOMES (cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx)"
<cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ICANN News Alert -- Public Comment: ICANN FY 12 Security,
Stability & Resiliency Framework
--
Part A
•        The 3rd bullet on slide 21 says “ICANN’s role includes participating

•         Question: “It would be great to know in more detail how ICANN defines
collaboration; given their limited operational capability and their consensus
driven approach, it may be very difficult to get anything effective done. We
also would like to see a definition of 'malicious' being given since this
varies by jurisdiction.”

•        The last sentence of the 3rd bullet on slide 22 (“ICANN does not have
a role in determining what constitutes illicit conduct on the Internet.”)

•        Question: “this seems to contradict the 3rd bullet on slide 21 because
criminal and malicious are often one and the same and very often, for a
government to be involved in a matter, a law has to be broken, i.e., criminal
behavior.”

•        On slide 27, ICANN lists as one of its services its own personal
Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT).

•         Question: “Is there a charter for the ICANN CIRT and are their
respectabilities strictly internal?”

Part B
·        The 4th ICANN Strategic Objective listed on slide 9 is to “Coordinate
Global Risk Management”.

·        Question:  “What efforts fulfill this objective and who is leading is
leading them? We keep hearing about this but we have yet to see a security
plan, risk methodology or anything else of substance.”

·        The 3rd item under Community SSR Work on slide 16 is “Collaborative
response to malicious abuse of the identifier system – Conficker and trusted
security community.”

·          Question: “Who determines what the 'trusted security community' is?
Can we get the names of a few of the mailing lists or groups involved in this
effort?  Some registry people are involved with a few of these groups at the
moment but none of them have been officially endorsed by ICANN.”

--
Thanks,
David

David W. Maher
Senior Vice President - Law & Policy
Public Interest Registry
+1 312 375 4849

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>