ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssr-plan-fy11]

Re: Plan for Enhancing Internet Security, Stability & Resiliency

  • To: ssr-plan-fy11@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Plan for Enhancing Internet Security, Stability & Resiliency
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:26:13 -0400

Patrick,

Thank you for following up on my comment that while systematic use of namespaces is made by distributed systems seeking to construct rendezvous points, the task of coordination of interposition or remediation among namespace operators, if interposition or remediation is reasonable, requires more than calling the IANA contacts list.

I concur with the RyC's urging that the FY2011 SSR Plan be amended to provide:

o A clear recognition that the industry's security mission is focused on core threats to the DNS itself.

I've substituted "industry" for "ICANN".

I also concur with the RyC's expression of preference for transparency and process, and their rejection of "WHOIS" as an issue of comparable import.

Independently, I urge that the FY2011 SSR Plan be amended to provide for the reduction of economic, ownership, and trust (EOT) barriers to research access to authoritative, and recursive resolver operational data.

Naturally, this would mean some form of data access and custodial relationship with gTLD registry technical services providers, only some of which are currently members of the RyC, a situation which is likely to be more prevalent in the future.

Eric Brunner-Williams
in a personal capacity