ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssrt-draft-report]

AGEIA DENSI Comments on SSR RT

  • To: <ssrt-draft-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: AGEIA DENSI Comments on SSR RT
  • From: "Fatima Cambronero" <fatimacambronero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:07:09 -0300

SSR RT Draft Report – Public Comments

These public comments are made on our individual capacity on behalf of Juan
Manuel Rojas, Jose Francisco Arce and Fatima Cambronero of AGEIA DENSI
Argentina and Colombia Chapters.

First, we want to congratulate the Security, Stability and Resilience Review
Team for their enormous effort and we want to give a special acknowledgement to
the RT Chair, Alejandro Pisanty, a member of our region. We would like to make
special emphasis on the ordered and subject-specific presentation that provided
for an issue with a high level of complexity to be easily understood by the
community, by being presented in a logical, structured, and concatenated manner
regarding each one of the recommendations.

We support all of the recommendations that were made, and although there is not
very much to add, we would like to state some comments in particular.

We believe it is important that the RT started addressing the ICANN's technical
limited mission. We believe it is necessary to develop a single document, with
a clear terminology, where the definition and scope of SSR can be established,
as one of the main objectives within the framework on the SSR Plan for FY12,
incorporating the statement of responsibility for SSR as it was proposed by the
RT. At the same time, we agree that the relationships between ICANN and other
groups should be clear, as well as the relationships among RSSAC and SSAC, so
in consequence, we support recommendations 1 to 6, since the only way for the
procedures to be transparent and contributions be properly issued, is by
providing a clear definition on the nature of relationships, as the
Recommendation 3 has expressed.

Thus, ICANN will reach for a greater number of stakeholders within the Internet
ecosystem. We specially, as members of a regional organization of Internet
users, suggest having particular regard to those who do not participate in
ICANN. We agree on the need to have a defined plan as soon as possible in terms
of SSR linkage to other communities within and outside of ICANN and the
development of an efficient feedback mechanism on SSR work. We share the
statement on posting information about DNS threats and mitigation strategies
for them.

It would be important to publicize the effectiveness of the current security
plan that ICANN has established to face potential or actual challenges and
threats; and what are the short-and long-term objectives to meet future
challenges and threats to security, stability and resilience of DNS, consistent
with the limited technical mission of ICANN, and to control the power to
maintain stability of the DNS with the due limits that this entails.

We stress the need for the ICANN Strategic Plan to reflect the commitment to
its goal and mission stated as to "preserve and enhance the operational
stability, reliability, security and global interoperability of the Internet".

It is also important that the SSR-RT does not focus exclusively on “physical”
issues given that, as we know, there are other threats that can affect the
stability and security of DNS. This should be framed in a process of continuous
improvement, not only on subjects related to SSR but with the entire
organization.

We agree with Ayesha Hassan's comment when she says that the RT could examine
how best practices would be included in contracts as referred to in
Recommendation 12.

We stress Recommendation 23 regarding the need to provide Working Groups and
Advisory Committees, of resources and certain freedoms in order to develop high
quality conclusions. Because of this, the RT should plan how they believe that
ICANN can guarantee this way of working.
We agree with Mikey O'Connor's public comment regarding the need to sharpen the
meaning of "risk management framework" in the document, and with ALAC's comment
about the need for ICANN to accelerate the creation and publication of a formal
and comprehensive framework for risk management of the DNS. It is important
that the goal of focusing on long-term risks does not imply paying less
attention to short-term risks.

The framework design should be done in layers and from a multiple perspective
to measure and manage the DNS level. This framework should support risk
analysis, the likelihood and impact of changes in the DNS infrastructure as
well as the changes in policy making.

And we support Recommendation 28 for the purpose of ICANN to continue its
engagement in the planning and prevention of incidents, providing outreach and
education, involving all areas concerned to preserve the multi-stakeholder
model, including bottom-up processes and also allowing the participation of
specialized Internet end-users.

The report refers to the absence of a comprehensive framework for risk
management of the DNS. So we must think about how this formal framework ought
to be created with the involvement of the SSAC, DSSA, Board DNS Risk Management
Working Group, CSO and with the participation of specialized stakeholders.

Juan Manuel Rojas - Jose Francisco Arce – Javier Pallero - Fatima Cambronero –
AGEIA DENSI Argentina and Colombia Chapters.