ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sti-report-2009]

STI Recommendations

  • To: sti-report-2009@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: STI Recommendations
  • From: mr800king@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:08:05 -0500

Thank you for the chance to comment on this very important and vital manner.

Trademark laws need to be respected not expanded. The irreparable harm and
damage that can be done to a company, big or small, with thousands of employees
or not, without FULL due process posses such a risk to commerce that this
proposal should not be adopted. Some of the very supporters of this may find
their own companies in peril in the future as an unintended consequence of
their own support.

I do believe it may have merit in pre-registrations of new Gtld's before
registration. In this there is no possibility of harm before the fact. However
all rights must be protected and over reaching by either side can prove to be
problematic.

For existing registrations, this would be dangerous and who will be responsible
for loss of business or other catastrophic circumstance should a quick but
wrong decision be made? Who will be responsible when irreparable harm and
damage is done? Just like there are trademark abusers, their are IP abusers as
well that over reach and do harm. So great care must be given to avoid this.

In short, I agree and support Mr. Kirikos's comments that are well thought out
and present a clear picture of why this proposal should not be adopted.

Again, thank you for the chance to comment and please treat each comment as
individual and not lump them together as one group vs another. No one writing
comments wants trademarks to be abused in any way, shape or form and in that
respect we all stand shoulder to shoulder. However given some of the horrendous
decisions of the current process, a fair balance must be struck.

Rick Schwartz
eRealestate.com