ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-cat]

.CAT is transnational

  • To: <stld-rfp-cat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .CAT is transnational
  • From: Jordi Solà <jsola@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:14:37 +0200

Title: .CAT is transnational

Dear ICANN,

1) .CAT is a translational domain as it will be used for the "Catalan language and culture". As you might be interested to know, Catalan language doesn't live only in Spain: it is spoken in Andorra, France, and Italy, with some kind of oficiality in all these places. Besides, Catalan culture is present in a lot of places around the world.

2) Presenting .CAT as kind of useless, as it won't have any users is, in my opinion, quite wrong. The Catalan language is really active on the internet. Only the expectations that the .CAT has generated on the Catalan society shows that it will be successful.

3) It turns out a lot of times that a Catalan speaker doesn't feel from the State that represents him or her. In meaning, some Spanish people doesn't feel like, and also happens in France: they feel just Catalan or maybe (more usual) more Catalan than from their State. It's not a political question: it's just a cultural fact that I know that may be difficult to understand for other people. I just would like those people to look for some information and try to figure out what it can be for us. After all, we aren't asking for so much.

Therefore, I don't think that .CAT could be a regional domain or a pseudo-contry-code, and I don't see any reason for which ICANN could deny it.

Yours faithfully,
Jordi