ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-general]

.biz failure

  • To: stld-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .biz failure
  • From: Herbie Robinson <hrob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:25:30 -0400

I have been suspicious that the .biz TLD is not used by most legitimate businesses; so, I did an informal survey of my archived e-mail and found that out of about 3400 occurrences of ".biz", only 2 were web sites of what I would call legitimate businesses. The rest were scams that were being promoted by SPAM.

I think this has two implications:

1. ICANN should give serious consideration to withdrawing the .biz domain name entirely as it seems to be completely coopted by spammers and is saturated with fraudulent sites: It is so bad that any legitimate business would do well to avoid using the .biz TLD.

2. ICANN should get a much stronger commitment from new TLD administrators to keep the illegitimate businesses out of any new TLDs.